Don Foreman

On 12 Sep 2005 16:50:51 -0700, wrote:

This is probably a dumb question, but can I use either aluminum or
copper flashing materials to repair the rust cancer in my 1990 Bronco.
I know that I can tack steel panels to the existing steel, but the
steel sheet is tough to get while aluminum and copper flashing is
common?

I'm thinking about buying an inert gas wire fed welder for this
purpose, since it is much cheaper than a body shop restoration, but can
it tack dissimilar metals like aluminum and copper to steel, or should
I seek out a dealer who can supply me with, say, 16-gauge steel stock?

My second question is do I need an "English Wheel" to curve the stock
material to fit, or is their a simplier, less costly method? After all,
this is a one-time restoration job.

Why aren't there more books available for auto body restoration?

Thanks guys. Harry C.

Buy the body parts (panels) you need and MIG 'em in. Check out
http://www.rustrepair.com/
http://www.certifit.com/

Get print catalogs from these guys. It's a lot easier to figure out
what you need when looking at pictures.

Check a dealer too! If they have what you want, it may only be
slightly more $$$ than from the above sources, and stuff like hoods
are a lot more likely to fit without a fight.

You can make smaller patches with sheet steel. Larger autoparts
stores have it, at least they do around Minneapolis. I've even used
the skin off an old hot water heater. (Bondo is your friend!)

16 gage is pretty heavy for autobody. 22 or 24 gage is more typical.

Get a pneumatic punch 'n flange tool like this:
You punch one part, flange the other (one of these is part of the
car), fit 'em up, tack 'em or shoot a few sheetmetal screws, fill the
holes with the MIG. Very little grinding needed. Butter the joint
with Bondo, sand, and you're ready for primer.

You DO have air, right? Ya gotta have air and a DA sander to even
think about bodywork.

Check out my old '76 Blazer at
http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/BYBS/

There wasn't much original body metal left on that truck. It was
10 years old when I got it, and I drove it in salty MN for 13 years.