Don Foreman

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:33:59 GMT, "Pete" wrote:

These product(s) are (apparently) no longer available in Canada and can not
be imported

Can anyone advise re a recipe for a quick and dirty (albeit thin layer)
case-hardening compund. Surely some of our gurus here have thought about
htis one!

I used a mixture of "Hoof and Horn" as an apprentice in the Royal Navy in
the 40's but it is not easily arranged to hold at high temperatures for long
periods in a small workshop sans furnace!

site would be appreciated

Thanks all

Peter

Brownell's has it:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...&title=KASENIT

They accept international orders. Is there some specific prohibition
against inporting Kasenite to Canada?

Guy Lautard (a Canadian) addresses case -hardening in one (or more)
of his Bedside Readers. I think one method was using bone meal in a
"muffle" comprised of a piece of iron pipe. This could be done in a
charcoal fire.