Leon

"Battleax" wrote in message

This makes no sense. If TooManyTools has lost items in the floods should
he
refrain from trying to replace them until all other victims have their
lives
together? If so, why?

Uh, no he should not refrain from replacing his tools. He should consider
doing so after looking at what is really important and after getting his
home and family back in order. Getting you home and kife and family back to
a normal state should be the utmost of your priorities and starting to think
about such minor problems as a flooded shop 2 weeks after the storm is an
indicator that someone may not have a grasp of the problems that lay before
him. I live in Houston and with living in Houston, flooding is not an
unusual occourance. Houstton went through a very similar experience as NO
back in 2001 and I personally have been in floods 2 or 3 times as far back
as 1967. It takes months to even consider moving back into you home if you
had only a foot standing in it for any period of time.
First there is a shortage of contractors and materials and if you are lucky,
claims adjusters to do the work when thousands of homes have been affected.
Because there has been this filthy water in you home for possibly weeks and
or months a serious case of mold starts to grow in your home. Everything
in the house must be thrown out and replaced. Then at a minimum the sheet
rock has to be replaced and the insulation must be torn out and replaced.
If you are lucky, that is all you have to do. Then consider that all of the
neighborhoods near you are doing the same thing in every house.
On top of this you still have to go to work every day if the business was
not wipped out and hope progress is being made on your home while you are
staying at a hotel or an appartment that has no furniture. And how do you
get to work, you vehicles flooded long before your house went under. You
literally are lucky to have the clothes that are on your back.

Leon seems to have taken offense that he is doing so.

Perhaps, to start a thread off with "After watching the still unfolding
disaster along the Gulf coast, I
can't help but think of all the workshops that were destroyed",
All the tools and the effort that was expended to get them in the first
place...such a waste. It has taken me decades to find and buy the
quality and quantity of tools that I have.

I can assure you that for most flood victims it has also taken decades to
obtain the much more important things in life such as his family, home,
furniture, etc. For thousands it will again take decades to get back to the
same state of well being and accomplishment as they were in 3 weeks ago.
How can a person that has "actually" been through this or witnessed this on
TV, not see the irony of the statements of the beginning of this thread?
At the very least I see the statement as being a bit short sighted and seems
to indicate a lack of compassion or understanding of what ANY flood victim
will go through when his home has been flooded. "Maybe" 6 months from now a
lucky victim can start to think about replacing his shop tools but keeping
his family together and feeding them for the next several months should be
his immediate concern.

With all that said, I can see the value of this thread but perhaps with a
bit more compassion for those that are really in a hard ship right now, save
the thread for another 12 months or so.