Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 06 Sep 2005 09:53:02p, SteveB wrote in alt.home.repair:

"Toller" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
... .

I'm assuming that they work on a similar principle to the kerosene
refrigerators I recall from a few decades back; a neighbor in a rural
area of UK with no electric supply had one. Some of those used
ammonia as the refrigerant, but maybe the propane ones now use Freon.

IIRC, the heat of the flame raises the pressure of the refrigerant
just as the compressor does in an electric refrigerator.

Perce

IIRC, the flame boils the ammonia, it condenses, and as it does,
cools, hence, cooling.

Oh for heaven's sake! When things condense they give off heat; so why
would it cool by condensing?
http://www.howstuffworks.com/refrigerator5.htm

I don't know. If you are so smart, why don't you post the answer
instead of just coming up with contentious posts? Explain it to us
stupid unwashed rabble.

An ammonia refrigerator has a flame and ammonia. I don't really
understand how it works, only that it does. A flame would seem to boil
a liquid, and a condensing coil would seem to condense that vapor. Just
an observation by this untrained person.

If things give off heat when they condense, why isn't rain hot? Just a
question from this stupid person who obviously doesn't understand and
know as much as you.

Steve

Why not learn how instead of remaining ignorant?

http://home.howstuffworks.com/refrigerator5.htm

http://www.thenaturalhome.com/gasappliances.htm

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.