George E. Cawthon

SteveB wrote:
Do propane refrigerators need to be vented outside? I have just bought a
cabin with a Consul 17 cubic foot fridge/freezer.

The burner needed cleaning, as it smelled very very rich. It had a lot of
soot. When I put it back together, the diffuser fell down into the exhaust
pipe, and I didn't notice it.

When it started smelling again, I checked it, and cleaned it again.

Tell me of your experiences with propane appliances in an enclosed space. I
know they can be lethal, but this has a very small burner. Nothing in the
instructions mentioned outside venting.

Steve

Propane (actually ammonia cycle) refrigerators are
common on RV's, so check RV sites on the internet.
Anything with a flame needs a vent. A standard
feature is to have the burner in a separate space
from the actual cold space. Built in that way or
the unit is on rollers and just backs into a space
that is vented to the outside. Or, the unit just
sits in a highly vented space such as a screened
porch.