George

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"George" wrote: (clip) You need to rethink your bevel angle theory.
Blunt does not equal dull. It is the edge that cuts. Scrapers, in spite
of the nomenclature, can and do cut with bevel angles approaching 90
degrees. It's in how they're presented to the work.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I was trying to question your use of very sharp carving tools and knives
to prove a point with respect to turning. Let me try again: Turning
tools rest on a toolrest, and when things are right, the cutting force is
directed downward, so the tool can be held in place with a gentle grip.
The cutting force is downward, at about 90 degrees to the tool. Carving
tools and knives have the cutting force straight into the cutting edge.
They're not the same.

I take it you don't carve? First thing I was taught was that the tool moves
in two directions for the best cut. Just as in whittling, where you draw
the knife across the work as you push or pull it along. Or skew a plane in
flat work.

Same on the lathe. Not sure why you'd want to cut at 90 degrees to the tool
on a lathe. You want your edge at a nice steep skew so the rotation will
bring the material along the edge as you advance it, producing the same
slicing motion you use with the other tools.