charlie b

Default Got The Chuck & Fear For My Bearings

PIcked up the SuperNova2 and the Pin Jaws. Cleaned them
up put the chuck on the JET midi lathe and now I'm concerned
about my drive head bearings. This is NOT a delicate little
thing - but rather an 8+ pound, 3 3/4" diameter, 2 " thick
chunk of steel - without the jaws. And its center line is
sitting 2 1/2" from the nearest bearing.

The other issue is the JAWS manual's "DO NOT EXCEED 684 RPMS"
for any of the jaws. Fortunately the JET variable speed
starts at 500 rpms but the slow speed seems to conflict with
the general consensus that higher speeds are better than
lower speeds.

Was also surprised that the chuck came with no manual
and a two page "instructions" sheet - AND a DVD. COOL -
a DVD. But there's almost no video - four short mpeg
files - but the rest is either image files or pdf files. That
sucks.

Have to clean up the shop of the residue of three utility
shelves - 6 shelves each - and clear off the workbench
before trying this puppy out.

Also picked up Raffan's tape - his skew seems an
extension of his arms and hands. My teeth go on
edge watching him wield that skew and hog out huge
quantities of wood - starting with the long point!

Got one of Mike Darlow's (the author of the article
Turning Tools, Spotting Design Flaws) books -
The Fundamentals of Woodturning. I was trained
in engineering so his explanations and illustrations
of the mechanics of turning and the use of tools
is something I can understand, rather than accept
"do it this way because that's the way I do it and
I'm an expert.". If I can understand "what and
why" I can figure out "how" myself.

Relaltive to furniture making, turning seems
to be The Wild Wild West - a hundred ways
to do things and only one or two that don't
require 100-200 hours of practice with a lot
of trial and error - to say nothing of the
Pucker Factor. Probably should take a class
DUH!

Fun this turning thing.

charliel b.
Barry N. Turner

What's with all this worry about the Jet mini's bearings? You can replace
them if they go out for a small sum and it's not a terribly big job I hear.
I bought a Supernova to use on my Jet mini. (I don't think it weighs quite
8 lbs. though.) A Supernova or a Talon might be a better match for your
lathe.

Anyway, when I got through reading the manual that came with the chuck, I
was afraid to turn the danged lathe on. Then I figured, the manual must
have been written by their attorney(s), so they would be able to say that
any incident that might possibly happen must have been a failure caused by
excessive speed. Corporate liability, I think they call it.

Well, I decided to go ahead and use the chuck sensibly at whatever speeds I
felt were necessary. I've had my Jet mini and Supernova chuck for about 4
years and neither has caused me any trouble. I have turned a number of 9
1/4" bowls and I'm still on the original bearings. Pin jaws? What about
the 2" standard jaws? I use them at least 75% of the time.

Go ahead and enjoy your new chuck and your lathe. If the stress from
worrying about excessive RPM's and bearing loads gets to be too much, you
can always trade up to a Oneway 2436 or a Stubby.

Barry

PS Go easy on the speed. Don't try to turn too fast. An awful lot of
turning can be done below 1200 RPM's. Sandpaper cuts better and doesn't
burn your fingers as quickly. Tool edges don't get as hot. And centrifugal
forces on bearings are less.

"charlie b" wrote in message
[...]

Alan

Charlie,

Don't be too scared of teh skew, exsecially planing with teh long
point down. Here is why:
You have MOREW control, the tool is closer to the axix of the lathe
which makes it easier to direct...it IS more like an extesion of your
arm this way.

I've been lucky enough to talk with both turners you mention and see
them demonstrating. I find it great to hear your comments about Mike
darlow as I fully agree; there is a place for mor details
explanations. Unfortunately, many find this too difficult (or don't
want to try and understand it). Richard Raffan sure knows his stuff
(comes from doing so much production turning in his early days).

Finally, until you try using the skew long point diwn, you'll never
appreciate how much more control you have. From my brief experience,
you are more likely to get into trouble if you are too cautious..you
have to use some force or the wood WILL catch minimally and generate a
bigger catch (and trouble).

safe turning,
Alan

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 17:43:49 -0700, charlie b
wrote:

[...]

Bill B

charlie b wrote:
[...]

The lawyers are probably setting the RPM's at 680. When I got my first
Nova chuck I think it said 800. I have the original Nova and the
Supernova. I run both up to 2500 rpm. Me thinks they may be worried
about the liability of you getting smacked by a piece of wood if it
comes off. I've had several pieces come off at all speeds and the most
they ever did was drop down and spin on the floor a bit.

For the slow RPM is safer crowd - aside from bowls coming apart, and
they come apart at all speeds, the catches are bigger and nastier at
slow speed, the cuts are rougher at slow speed, etc. Crank it up to
where you are comfortable and enjoy, and the wood can tolerate - don't
try spinning poor or out of balance wood at 2500! If 500 is the max you
feel good at, then run at 500. I typically rough around 500 and keep
bumping the speed up as it smoothes out until I am in the 1500-2000
range. Pieces are finished by the tool, I rarely have to sand anything.
You mention Raffan, ever notice how fast (my guess is 2500+) his lathe
is spinning? Notice he uses a variety of chucks? Notice he only gives
a swipe with the paper and calls it done?

Practice with the skew. It's my favorite and can be your favorite too.
Just takes lots of practice, and speed. Slower RPMs seem to be the
nemisis of the skew, at least for me.

--
Bill Berglin

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, 'WOW! What A RIDE!!" ... Unknown

Bill B

http://home.comcast.net/~bberg100

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, 'WOW! What A RIDE!!" ... Unknown
George

"Bill B" wrote in message

For the slow RPM is safer crowd - aside from bowls coming apart, and they
come apart at all speeds, the catches are bigger and nastier at slow
speed, the cuts are rougher at slow speed, etc. Crank it up to where you
are comfortable and enjoy, and the wood can tolerate - don't try spinning
poor or out of balance wood at 2500! If 500 is the max you feel good at,
then run at 500. I typically rough around 500 and keep bumping the speed
up as it smoothes out until I am in the 1500-2000 range. Pieces are
finished by the tool, I rarely have to sand anything. You mention Raffan,
ever notice how fast (my guess is 2500+) his lathe is spinning? Notice he
uses a variety of chucks? Notice he only gives a swipe with the paper and
calls it done?

The slower is safer crowd are those of us subject to the laws of physics.

Leo Lichtman

"Chuck" Too bad about those buggy whip factories, eh?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't believe I ever heard of anyone in a buggy being injured for lack of
an airbag. Slower IS safer. But, slower is also slower. And, none of us
is going to live forever, you know. Take as many chances as you dare, until
you get hurt, and then back off a little. ;-)

Chuck

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 06:35:28 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

The slower is safer crowd are those of us subject to the laws of physics.

Too bad about those buggy whip factories, eh?

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

George

"Chuck" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 06:35:28 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

The slower is safer crowd are those of us subject to the laws of physics.

Too bad about those buggy whip factories, eh?

Too bad about people who have to try to be smart, and succeed only in being
smart-alecs.

Energy available to propel a loose chunk, shake the entire piece from the
chuck or knock the gouge out of your hand increases with the square of
velocity. Simple truth. What's pitiful as that you think it a joke.

It can bite you - hard.

Those who can and will think are well aware that turning is best with the
least force applied by the turner. Same holds for the turning.

Stephen M

Energy available to propel a loose chunk, shake the entire piece from the
chuck or knock the gouge out of your hand increases with the square of
velocity. Simple truth. What's pitiful as that you think it a joke.

Huh? Wouldn't that be more like Mass times velocity? (as in a proportional
relationship) Maybe the square of the RPM but not the linear velocity.

Steve

WillR

Stephen M wrote:
Energy available to propel a loose chunk, shake the entire piece from t=

he
chuck or knock the gouge out of your hand increases with the square of
velocity. Simple truth. What's pitiful as that you think it a joke.

=20
=20
=20
Huh? Wouldn't that be more like Mass times velocity? (as in a proporti=

onal
relationship) Maybe the square of the RPM but not the linear velocity.
=20
Steve
=20
=20

1/2 mv^2

=2E.or f=3Dma

and you cannot push a rope...

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
Alan

Lathe speed should be set on the basis of linear velocity of the
surface weighed up against balance of the blank and integrity of the
wood.

There are many references that discuss what this speed (inches/second,
cm/second, feet/second) should be. As diameter, and hence
circumference increases, RPM must be decreased to give the same linear
speed of the surface past the tool.

No one that understands the above will ever simply talk in terms of
RPM nor follow a table of diameter and RPM without considering other
factors.

If the tool is used correctly, the cutting edge has support, and
should not catch. The cutting support will increase as speed
increases if the turner has presented the tool correctly. From this
will follow a better surface finish than if a slow speed was used for
fear of a catch (eg Raffan doesn't use 6 grades of paper starting at
80 grit because he has good technique and takes advantage of using an
optimum speed. He has also learned that not all timbers are alike and
some are better scraped than planed but that is another topic!). If
you don't get catches at modest speeds why do you get catches at
optimal spreeds? The reason will usually be simple: technique can be
improved or poor sharpening of tool leading to less than suitable
bevel (=can't obtain required cutting edge support so you get
catches).

This isn't rocket science and there are enough references for anyone
who is interested (yes, one must actually read, watch and learn) to
improve their technique.

Regarding linear velocity calculations...
Circumference = 3.1416 x diameter of blank
If you multiply circumference by RPM you will have a linear surface
speed.
eg 1000cm x 24 RPM = 24000cm/min (400cm/second)

If you want to try a recommended linear surface speed, convert it to
"distance units" per minute (eg ###cm/minute) and divide it by the
circumference (measured in the same distance units).

Example purely for explanation (NOTE; just for explanation):
Linear speed = 400cm/second = 24000cm/min
Circumference of job1=1000cm : speed = 24 RPM
Circumference of job2=10cm : speed = 2400RPM
The linear velocity in each case of the timber surfaces is the same.

For safety, approach the calculated speed from the slow side, consider
the balance of the blank and the integrity of the wood!

Safe turning,
Alan

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 09:59:21 -0400, WillR wrote:

Stephen M wrote:
Energy available to propel a loose chunk, shake the entire piece from the
chuck or knock the gouge out of your hand increases with the square of
velocity. Simple truth. What's pitiful as that you think it a joke.

Huh? Wouldn't that be more like Mass times velocity? (as in a proportional
relationship) Maybe the square of the RPM but not the linear velocity.

Steve

1/2 mv^2

..or f=ma

and you cannot push a rope...

Arch

Hi Alan, Well done, thanks.
Your helpful post made me rethink some of my long held verities.

I have assumed that without a sharp tool, wood cannot be turned well.
Nothing, not technique, not equipment, not speed, not bevel, not hope
and not even fame, can compensate for a dull tool.

I've also assumed that good _turning technique etc. can make a surface
that doesn't require beginning with coarser grits, but good _sanding
technique doesn't allow skipping coarser sequential grits on a lesser
surface.

I thought there were so many variables involved in turning a chunk of
wood successfully that engineers, physicists , rocket scientists and the
rest of us end up turning empirically and intuititively. It seemed to
me that dogmatic assertions and 'always/nevers' about any one variable
were more helpful in debate than in turning.

I reckoned that we all suffer catches. Good technique and tooling may
keep them infrequent and small, and proper velocity may lessen the
consequences, but they happen in the real world of inattention, waving
gouges and hidden nails.

Anyway, your discussion provoked thought, not argument. I hope you and
others will expand on it. Thanks again.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Ken Moon

"Alan" wrote in message
SNIP ..........
Regarding linear velocity calculations...
Circumference = 3.1416 x diameter of blank
If you multiply circumference by RPM you will have a linear surface
speed.
eg 1000cm x 24 RPM = 24000cm/min (400cm/second)

If you want to try a recommended linear surface speed, convert it to
"distance units" per minute (eg ###cm/minute) and divide it by the
circumference (measured in the same distance units).

Example purely for explanation (NOTE; just for explanation):
Linear speed = 400cm/second = 24000cm/min
Circumference of job1=1000cm : speed = 24 RPM
Circumference of job2=10cm : speed = 2400RPM
The linear velocity in each case of the timber surfaces is the same.

=========================
The math is OK, BUT:
In your examples, Job 2 would be practical, with a spindle about 1 1/2
inches; Job 1 is a blank over 10 feet in diameter.... anyone here have a
lathe that can swing that blank??

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Alan

Glad to see you checked the maths.

It was purely an example...I did say:
"Example purely for explanation (NOTE; just for explanation):"
so everyone could understand the numbers were just for explanation.

OK, job1 is now job 1a (client had mistakenly advised the size
required).
Circumference of job1a=100cm : speed = 240 RPM
Starting material is a blank of australian cedar from a tree felled in
the spring of 1936. It is 95mm thick and has been cut to a circle
ofapproximate radius 16cm. The material shows no cracks or knots and
is secured to a 200mm faceplate with four short coarse screws. A
shallow fruit bowl is the intended endpoint.

Safe turning,
Alan

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 04:56:44 GMT, "Ken Moon"
wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
.. .
SNIP ..........
[...]

Alan

G'day Arch,

I can't disagree with the points you make. My main reason for posting
was to refute any suggestion that speed should always be at the low
end for safety. Whilst turning at a speed too fast for a given blank
is dangerous, I don't believe turning at half the optimum speed is
significantly safer and I know the surface finish will probably be
poorer.

I suppose the optimum speed for a very experienced turner will
generally be higher than that for a novice. However, the novice
should always expect to be able to improve and turn safely at higher
speeds as experience is gained.

Read, look and listen but always consider it before adopting. If you
feel something is dangerous, don't do it. If you are too cautious
with your tool presentation you'll probably achieve exactly you fear!

Safe turning,
Alan

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 10:56:07 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

[...]

George

"Alan" wrote in message
G'day Arch,

I can't disagree with the points you make. My main reason for posting
was to refute any suggestion that speed should always be at the low
end for safety. Whilst turning at a speed too fast for a given blank
is dangerous, I don't believe turning at half the optimum speed is
significantly safer and I know the surface finish will probably be
poorer.

You haven't refuted a thing. You have demonstrated that you don't
understand the laws of physics, and you have a couple of strange turning
ideas beyond that.

As stated, more energy is available to the turning at faster speeds. Only a
dull tool cuts better at faster speed, or a tool presented to poke and rip
rather than cut and peel . Sharp tools cut well at any speed when properly
presented. The quality of the cut determines the quality of the surface
left behind. Sharpen your jackknife and whittle a bit and see if your best
cut happens at higher speed - or your carving tools. See if they don't
out-perform your turning tools even at near zero relative velocity. It's
the edge that cuts, and the timber that determines the energy required to do
the job. Velocity beyond that required to maintain a cut is unnecessary and
increases the potential for dismounts, the distance disconnecting pieces may
be thrown, and turning pressure on an improperly presented tool.

Do you find it more difficult to make a cut at the bottom of a bowl than at
its edge?

Arch

I suspect that safe turning, efficient turning, elegant turning and
satisfying turning are all so inexorably bound that most of us just
refer to optimum turning.

Carried to an absurdity, which we never do, the safest rpm might
approach zero, but it's probably not optimum. A velocity approaching the
speed of light might not
be optimum either, although I heard that strange things might happen.

Given that there are upper velocity limits to _optimum turning any chunk
of wood, are there lower velocity limits to _optimum turning that chunk
also?

Can you turn too slow? I had thought so, but then I know a little about
the physics that purge, but not much about the laws of physics that
explain our world.

C' est la guerre!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Leo Lichtman

"George" wrote: (clip) Sharpen your jackknife and whittle a bit and see if
your best cut happens at higher speed - or your carving tools. See if they
don't out-perform your turning tools even at near zero relative
velocity.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You've really got me thinking here. I hope you will treat what I say as a
thoughtful response--not as an argumentative reaction. It is certainly true
that a sharp whittling knife or a very sharp carving tool will cut smoothly
and cleanly at virtually zero velocity. It is also true that such finely
honed edges are difficult to maintain on lathe tools. The narrower the
included angle of the cutting edge, the sharper it becomes, but also the
more vulnerable to wear and breakage. What velocity does for you on the
lathe is permit the use of fatter cutting-edge angles, and less finely
honed, longer lasting edges. Just as your demonstration that a very sharp
whittling blade will cut at zero speed, I believe it would also be easy to
demonstrate that a lathe tool, sharpened on an 80 or 120 grit wheel to a 60
degree angle won't cut worth a damn in a slow, hand-held cut. Yet,
professional turners work with such tools all day long and achieve good
results. Why? They don't have time to turn at low speeds, nor do they have
time to sharpen their tools to the fine edge that a carver NEEDS. Something
about the speed, momentum, inertia, or whatever, of the wood approaching the
cutting edge makes it work.

On a different issue relating to speed: if you try to do a job that
requires "cutting air," such as a typical natural edge bowl, trying to run a
too low a speed makes it very hard to keep the tool "in orbit." The tool
wants to drop into the air gap, and they bounce as the wood comes around.

George

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

[...]

Good thinking. You've come to the conclusion that extra power - supplied in
the form of increased speed, is used to compensate for a dull or dulling
edge. Shouldn't be. It's a warning that it's time to renew it. You can
increase object speed, but it's a compromise, as the surface gets rougher
and the tool hotter.

As far as cutting air or any other form of interrupted cutting, like
roughing the outside of a bowl, the bounce should be your cue that you are
not holding the tool properly on the rest. A lot of trouble like this
comes from that "ride the bevel" folklore. Not a bit of sense pressing air.
The tool should be _Anchored to the toolrest, the _Bevel guiding on
available surface. Less available surface, the more you hug the rest as you
_Cut until you get one. Once you have a continuous surface to reference,
doesn't mean you should press the bevel to it, either. Difference in
end/face grain resistance and the broadening of the distance between annual
rings can get you out of round pretty quickly if you do.

You need to rethink your bevel angle theory. Blunt does not equal dull. It
is the edge that cuts. Scrapers, in spite of the nomenclature, can and do
cut with bevel angles approaching 90 degrees. It's in how they're presented
to the work.

Arch

"What we have here is a failure in communication".

I think Leo referred to the angles that form the edge ("the included
angle of the cutting edge") not the supporting bevel behind it, what
machinists refer to as the 'cutting angle'. The old knife, cold chisel
and nail analogy: The metal in a knife is harder than a nail, but it
won't cut a nail, while a cold chisel of softer steel will. In life, to
succeed you've got to have an angle.

My (mis)understanding is that to cut wood any tool's edge must first
enter the surface using a sharp edge; the cutting angle. After that it's
mosty a wedging and/or shearing action. This action, of course, depends
on many factors beside angles and bevels, but I convenently omit them
here.

I think of cutting as wedging more than shearing. To cut (wedge) along
the grain, after entry the edge isn't much needed so a narrow supporting
bevel can be used. To scrape (shear) across the grain the edge is needed
and thus requires a wide supporting bevel. Both actions require a sharp
edge (cutting angle) to get things started. Now, I'll explain rocket
science.

Returning to earth having explained all I know.... I tend to neglect an
important edge and an important half of an edge and the tools to make
them. I mean the burr on my scrapers and my burnisher. Also the flute
side of my gouge edges and my gouge slip. Just a gentle reminder.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Leo Lichtman

"George" wrote: (clip) You need to rethink your bevel angle theory. Blunt
does not equal dull. It is the edge that cuts. Scrapers, in spite of the
nomenclature, can and do cut with bevel angles approaching 90 degrees.
It's in how they're presented to the work.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I was trying to question your use of very sharp carving tools and knives to
prove a point with respect to turning. Let me try again: Turning tools
rest on a toolrest, and when things are right, the cutting force is directed
downward, so the tool can be held in place with a gentle grip. The cutting
force is downward, at about 90 degrees to the tool. Carving tools and
knives have the cutting force straight into the cutting edge. They're not
the same.

Alan

G'day George,

I have to disagree with what you have presented. I'll let anyone
reading the posts decide what to accept and what to dismiss. Further,
I see little benefit is likely when you have to commence with sweeping
unsupported statements about the poster's knowledge and lead off with
a selected edit from a longer post.

Are you suggesting that a well sharpened tool will cut wood fibres
cleanily and equally at any lathe speed? Please advise which law of
physics you are relying upon that describes the energy necessary for
the cut to take place? I assume it must be independent of timber's
surface velocity and derive the energy from some other source (since
the cutting tip of the tool is stationary).

A given amount of energy is required to cut a fibre cleanly without
causing significant subsurface damage (pulling the fibre as it cuts).
Stop here and consider if this is correct or false in a real turning
exercise rather than with one cut from a freshly sharpened carving
tool. I believe it is true, others may not.

Subsurface damage is harder to repair than a clean, even rippled cut
so I'd opt for a speed that will more cleanly cut the fibres. Taking
this to the next stage, at some velocity, the energy available will be
below that necessary to cleanly cut the fibres. This follows as a
logical statement if you thought the earlier statement was considered
to be true.

You cannot keep a "carver's" quality edge on a turning tool so any
comparisons other than to compare edge sharpness of each are not
really a useful example when discussing turning. Obviously a tool
sharpened for carving will cut the fibres as you push. Sounds nice
but take a few cuts into a piece of jarrah with the tool and it won't
have such a keen edge for long.

I'm unsure what was meant by, "a couple of strange turning ideas" as I
doubt I would be alone with the views contained in the section of my
earlier post you copied.

Regards,
Alan

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 09:03:16 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
.. .
G'day Arch,

I can't disagree with the points you make. My main reason for posting
was to refute any suggestion that speed should always be at the low
end for safety. Whilst turning at a speed too fast for a given blank
is dangerous, I don't believe turning at half the optimum speed is
significantly safer and I know the surface finish will probably be
poorer.

You haven't refuted a thing. You have demonstrated that you don't
understand the laws of physics, and you have a couple of strange turning
ideas beyond that.

As stated, more energy is available to the turning at faster speeds. Only a
dull tool cuts better at faster speed, or a tool presented to poke and rip
rather than cut and peel . Sharp tools cut well at any speed when properly
presented. The quality of the cut determines the quality of the surface
left behind. Sharpen your jackknife and whittle a bit and see if your best
cut happens at higher speed - or your carving tools. See if they don't
out-perform your turning tools even at near zero relative velocity. It's
the edge that cuts, and the timber that determines the energy required to do
the job. Velocity beyond that required to maintain a cut is unnecessary and
increases the potential for dismounts, the distance disconnecting pieces may
be thrown, and turning pressure on an improperly presented tool.

Do you find it more difficult to make a cut at the bottom of a bowl than at
its edge?

>.

He Might no be but it is fact a well sharpened tool will go where you lead
it and a blunt tool will go ehrer it can. so if the tool is sharpend
correctly and presentrd correctly a clean cut is possible at low speed.
Think about the old lathes BEFORE motors with speed much slower than the
modern lathe (Even at what we call SLOW SPEED) yet clean finishes were the
norm for experianced turners without causing significant subsurface damage
(pulling the fibre as it cuts).Remember these slower speeds also have the
benifit of less impact on an inapropriately presented cutting surface.

Slower speeds and a light delft touch with sharp tools WILL GIVE A CLEANER
CUT than not so sharp tools heavy hand and High speeds (Actually this is
asking for ignificant subsurface damage (pulling the fibre as it cuts) in
soft woods.
Some thing to think about Alan

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

"Alan" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

George

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"George" wrote: (clip) You need to rethink your bevel angle theory.
Blunt does not equal dull. It is the edge that cuts. Scrapers, in spite
of the nomenclature, can and do cut with bevel angles approaching 90
degrees. It's in how they're presented to the work.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I was trying to question your use of very sharp carving tools and knives
to prove a point with respect to turning. Let me try again: Turning
tools rest on a toolrest, and when things are right, the cutting force is
directed downward, so the tool can be held in place with a gentle grip.
The cutting force is downward, at about 90 degrees to the tool. Carving
tools and knives have the cutting force straight into the cutting edge.
They're not the same.

I take it you don't carve? First thing I was taught was that the tool moves
in two directions for the best cut. Just as in whittling, where you draw
the knife across the work as you push or pull it along. Or skew a plane in
flat work.

Same on the lathe. Not sure why you'd want to cut at 90 degrees to the tool
on a lathe. You want your edge at a nice steep skew so the rotation will
bring the material along the edge as you advance it, producing the same
slicing motion you use with the other tools.

George

"Alan" wrote in message
Are you suggesting that a well sharpened tool will cut wood fibres
cleanily and equally at any lathe speed? Please advise which law of
physics you are relying upon that describes the energy necessary for
the cut to take place? I assume it must be independent of timber's
surface velocity and derive the energy from some other source (since
the cutting tip of the tool is stationary).

You say it yourself. A certain amount (quantum?) of energy is required to
make the cut for a specific wood and orientation. I agree, it's what I
said at the beginning. Are you arguing with yourself? However, the source
of that energy is immaterial. Can be your elbow or the lathe.

A given amount of energy is required to cut a fibre cleanly without
causing significant subsurface damage (pulling the fibre as it cuts).
Stop here and consider if this is correct or false in a real turning
exercise rather than with one cut from a freshly sharpened carving
tool. I believe it is true, others may not.

Subsurface damage is harder to repair than a clean, even rippled cut
so I'd opt for a speed that will more cleanly cut the fibres. Taking
this to the next stage, at some velocity, the energy available will be
below that necessary to cleanly cut the fibres. This follows as a
logical statement if you thought the earlier statement was considered
to be true.

Speed does not cut the fibers. the edge does. Unless and until you get this
basic concept firmly implanted, you're chasing your tail. It seems you know
it to be true, because you keep talking about sharper edges doing better
work. Why not just go with it? It's correct.

Of course, if you did, we'd be back to the same, which is that energy in
excess of that required for the cut increases potential danger. The proper
mindset is to sharpen the tool rather than increase the speed to compensate.
I guess that's it. You know better, you just don't care to admit the
corrolary.

You cannot keep a "carver's" quality edge on a turning tool so any
comparisons other than to compare edge sharpness of each are not
really a useful example when discussing turning. Obviously a tool
sharpened for carving will cut the fibres as you push. Sounds nice
but take a few cuts into a piece of jarrah with the tool and it won't
have such a keen edge for long.

I'm unsure what was meant by, "a couple of strange turning ideas" as I
doubt I would be alone with the views contained in the section of my
earlier post you copied.

Alan

This all started when I contended that slower isn't always better. I
never advocated fast is always better. My position has come from
considering quite a good deal of written and verbalised views
(including those posted in this group). A few spurious arguments seem
to have been presented and I can only hope the open minds spot them.

I'm uncertain why comparisons between sharp and blunt tools entered
the discussion. My point was that a turner would not usually be
sharpening a tool to an edge as fine as a carver's chisel and even if
he did, it would be gone very quickly. What I've written about speed
and finish assumes the tool is "sharp" and has a good bevel (otherwise
there are too many variables).

I can't comment upon the results from pole lathe craftsman, but I'd
have to suspect that "Thomas Average", a backyard pole lathe turner,
would struggle to get a great finish (or were there only true
craftsman using pole lathes to create the work you mention?). His
tools would lose the edge faster than our HSS and sharpening must have
been more difficult (I fear I am widening the front to encompass
sharpening technique now!). As with all of the crafts, a few people
will perform better than the many if given identical equipment.

I see little benefit in comparing a sharp tool at slow speed and a not
so sharp tool at fast speed (whether yelled or not)..... would not
sharp and fast be better than less sharp and slow?. Rather an obvious
answer in both cases I would have thought. It really doesn't do
anything more than find a point I certainly know we can fullly agree
upon (which isn''t bad, but doesn't really advance anything).

Unless someone has something new to add I'd say we may have wrung this
topic out, for a while anyway.

Safe turning (at whatever speed you decide upon),
Alan

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 07:20:25 GMT, "." wrote:

[...]

.. .

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

Alan

George,

George,

I think you probably prefer to be contentious. Unfortunately you
misinterpret or intentionally twist what is posted so you can commence
another lecture to impress.

The use of the term "quantum" adds nothing to everyone's
understanding of the point, but does indicate a lot about you.

Safe turning, or whittling,
Alan

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 07:06:52 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

.. .

"Alan" wrote in message
This all started when I contended that slower isn't always better.

But it is definitely SAFER

I never advocated fast is always better. My position has come from
considering quite a good deal of written and verbalised views
(including those posted in this group). A few spurious arguments seem
to have been presented and I can only hope the open minds spot them.

I'm uncertain why comparisons between sharp and blunt tools entered
the discussion.

Well sharpened as opposed to something that is not well sharpened EG BLUNT

My point was that a turner would not usually be
sharpening a tool to an edge as fine as a carver's chisel

I DO it achieves a better cut at SAFER SLOWER speeds

and even if
he did, it would be gone very quickly.

Not with quality tools.

What I've written about speed
and finish assumes the tool is "sharp" and has a good bevel (otherwise
there are too many variables).

Another words a well sharpened tool!

I can't comment upon the results from pole lathe craftsman, but I'd
have to suspect that "Thomas Average", a backyard pole lathe turner,
would struggle to get a great finish (or were there only true
craftsman using pole lathes to create the work you mention?).

Not all lathes before motors were pole lathes having used a treadle lathe
with WELL SHARPENED tools I was amazed at the quality of the cut obtained
the very first time I used the lathe. Here as I said "a light delft touch
with sharp tools WILL GIVE A CLEANER CUT"

His tools would lose the edge faster

NOT necessarily so as the wood is turning slower there is less "Grinding "
action on the edge as can be seen when turning wood with a high silica
content on an old lathe with the tools of the time. the remain sharp for a
longer time than HSS tools turning the same wood at high speed. (Much less
grinding action)

than our HSS and sharpening must have
been more difficult (I fear I am widening the front to encompass
sharpening technique now!).

No I wont go into the argument of High speed grinding as opposed to low
speed wet grinding.

As with all of the crafts, a few people
will perform better than the many if given identical equipment.

I see little benefit in comparing a sharp tool at slow speed and a not
so sharp tool at fast speed (whether yelled or not)..... would not
sharp and fast be better than less sharp and slow?.

NO that is not what the discussion is about which is Fast and less sharp Vs
Slow and Very Sharpe

Rather an obvious
answer in both cases I would have thought. It really doesn't do
anything more than find a point I certainly know we can fullly agree
upon (which isn''t bad, but doesn't really advance anything).

Unless someone has something new to add I'd say we may have wrung this
topic out, for a while anyway.

A good way to avoid saying you are wrong.

Safe turning (at whatever speed you decide upon),

Slower is Much safer than Faster it just takes a bit more skill in
developing a lighter touch.

:-))
[...]

"Alan" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

"Alan" wrote in message
m...
[...]

M.J.

"Alan" wrote in message
news
George,

George,

I think you probably prefer to be contentious. Unfortunately you
misinterpret or intentionally twist what is posted so you can commence
another lecture to impress.

The use of the term "quantum" adds nothing to everyone's
understanding of the point, but does indicate a lot about you.

Safe turning, or whittling,
Alan

Well said Alan. I suspect you have really hit on the fine point of it with
this post.........
--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

George

"." wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
This all started when I contended that slower isn't always better.

But it is definitely SAFER

Interesting evaluation here,
http://www.woodturningplus.com/Safety/speed_kills.htm , though there are
still a couple of head-scratchers.

Leo Lichtman

"Chuck" wrote: Gotta say it: B I N G O
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Anybody named "Chuck" must know something about lathe RPM, by George. ;-)

Chuck

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:23:29 +1000, Alan
wrote:

George,

George,

I think you probably prefer to be contentious. Unfortunately you
misinterpret or intentionally twist what is posted so you can commence
another lecture to impress.

Gotta say it: B I N G O

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

George

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Chuck" wrote: Gotta say it: B I N G O
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Anybody named "Chuck" must know something about lathe RPM, by George. ;-)

If only he'd show it....

charlie b

This thread seems to have skipped back to my earlier
post regarding RPMs vs Safety. My limited experience,
specifically with a sharp skew chisel, is that at slow
speed (500 rpms) I get more catches than I do at higher
speed (1200 rpms)

Making shearing cuts "downhill", it seems to be easier to
get a smoother surface using higher rpms than lower.

When cutting coves with a detail gouge I get better surfaces
and smoother curves at higher rpms than at lower rpms.

Still having fun getting use to turning a tool while making
a cut. Guess that's a carry over from a metal lathe.

Fun stuff this turning thing. Instant gratification,
relatively speaking. Of course when things go to
hell in a handbasket it often means significant change
to the original idea or throwing the piece away and
starting over. In solid wood furniture a screw up
usually doesn't require starting all over.

charlie b
George

"charlie b" wrote in message
Fun stuff this turning thing. Instant gratification,
relatively speaking. Of course when things go to
hell in a handbasket it often means significant change
to the original idea or throwing the piece away and
starting over. In solid wood furniture a screw up
usually doesn't require starting all over.

Except when the piece is thrown hard by a high-speed tool?

As the lathe speed goes up, the temperature at the cutting edge goes
up. At temperatures as low as 150 degrees Farenheit some woods lose up
to half their strength, making them easier to cut. So at higher speeds
you will get better finishes. This information comes right out of one
of Mike Darlow's books.
regards
Kevin