DoN. Nichols

According to xray :
On 11 Sep 2005 05:20:51 GMT, (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

According to xray :

[ ... ]

The
entry for 12L14 says "black and white". I assume that means it could be
either, rather than it should have both.

Nope -- it should have both. (Otherwise, they would have said
"black *or* white", not "and".

All the pieces I have here have one solid color, if they are marked at
all. Just for curiosity, what would an "and" marking look like? Both
colors on the same end, like half of one and half of the other?

Well ... I've seen some which have something like 8" of the end
painted one color and perhaps 4" of the end painted over that a second
color. Fairly ragged edges to the overlap -- nobody bothers to mask
things properly -- there is no real need.

I could imagine one which was painted one color on one side and
one on the other -- but I haven't seen that.

Typically, when I get some metal which I know to be a given
type, I use a paint pen of some color which stands out nicely on that
metal to write the type on each end and a few places along the length.
Normally, the length of my stock is at maximum about six feet. Some,
such as three lengths of hex stock which just fits through my lathe
spindle I *know* to be 12L14, so until I get some other alloy in the
same size and in hex, I'll leave those unmarked.

I know some codes mention a stripe, but I'm asking about a plain
two-color "and".

I understand. But most of the metal I've seen has been the more
common ones, which are typically a single color.

[snip]

Well ... I'm sure that this is not what you wanted to hear --
but it is the real world, so I'm afraid that you are stuck.

[ ... ]

Thanks for taking the time to give me a deatailed answer with some
possibilities.

I was able to do that because I keep a copy of the Joregensen
metals catalog up near my computer. If you look on the used book web
sites, you can often find one at a quite reasonable price. (Of course,
the vendor will give you such a book if he feels that you will be
ordering enough to make it worth his while. I'm a hobbist, and as such,
I only get medium large amounts of steel (large for me, at last, such as
those three lengths of 12L14 hex) when I get in on a special buy. I've
been buying 6' lengths of 360L brass rod (3/4" mostly) for an ongoing
project. I buy them from MSC, though I could get the metal for a lot
less by buying several full-length rods from a vendor -- enough rods to
make the delivery worth while. But I don't use that much metal, so I'll
pay the extra for the convenience that MSC offers for the common ones,
and I'll use one of the web-based vendors who offers at even higher
prices, but does not charge a "cut" fee, for when I need an unusual size
occasionally -- such as a project which turned 4' of 6061 aluminum sched
40 pipe (3-1/2" ID) into four antenna waveguides.

I've used some of the online "drops" sites, where you find a
piece which is already near the size you need -- but the shipping on
those can be a killer.

As I said in a reply to a different message, I'll just
play with what I have and compare it to some known steels later.

That is the best thing to do. Get to know how the various
metals behave with *your* tools.

I've got some samples which I have not yet used -- saving them
for special projects which need the features -- but I may get a nasty
surprise when I start to machine those.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |