Wayne Cook

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 01:44:31 GMT, Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote:

You might try using Sil-Phos (or any of the other names it goes by).

I'm not familiar with this, but will check it out. I'm assuming
(maybe mistakenly) that this is a solder - but you used the term
"braze" in the following sentence....

It's applied at a red heat so the temperature is high enough to put
it in the braze category.

It's what refrigeration guys use to braze copper tubing together. It's
mostly copper with 5-10% silver and a small amount of phosphorus to
make it self fluxing on copper. You'll need to use a high temperature
silver solder flux for the brass despite the self fluxing nature on
copper. I'm not positive it'll work though since it might be a little
high temperature for the brass. I know I had problems the one time I

Can this be done with a heavy soldering iron - or is it torch only??

Nope. A soldering iron won't even come close to getting it hot
enough. That's why I said I'm not positive it'll work. It may melt to
close or even above the melting temperature of brass. It's great for
copper but brass I'm not as sure about. I've had mixed results with my
attempts to use it on brass so you may have to try it and see.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm