Roger Shoaf

Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote in message
Might be less work than kerfing and soldering to build rolling dies and
simply roll the radius into the channel.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

This is something I hadn't thought of... and also something I've never
done before. . . not exactly sure how I would go about it. The bottom
of the "u" channel is about 1/8 thick and is fairly stout. Bending
by hand, with heat applied only produced a wrinkled mess - sigh.
Ken.

What about bending the brass first, then take the high spots down, then cut
the channel?

Seems to me trying to bend the two uprights on the channel the hard way is
always going to cause more mischief than cutting the slot on an irregular
curve. You might be able to accomplish this with some finger saving wood
fixtures and a router bit. If cutting the slot in the tight inside curves
are a problem, perhaps you can mill off a section of the upright and finish
the slot on the mill and then just make up a cover plate you can solder on.

Another idea would be to cut two sets of uprights out of 1/16" thick sheet
stock, and then cut the center section out of 1/4" sheet. Then you could
pin them or jig them and solder them together.

If you take the second route, you might want to make the pieces a little
large and then finish the whole assembly to size.

You might be able to get some scrap graphite from an edm shop to use in
making your soldering fixture so the solder will not stick to the fixture.

--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the
Congress?