Dave D

"BW" wrote in message
Hi all,

I bought a Philips DVP642 DVD player less than an year ago.

So I presume it's still under warranty?

I had been
playing DVDs and CDs nicely till a few days ago. I watched a DVD movie
on it last weekend, and after that I wanted to play some mp3s on it on
wednesday. When I clicked the eject button on it, it came out of power
down mode, and I heard a chirp sound in the speakers and it went back to
power down mode again.

I tried it a couple of times and got the same reponse. I pulled the plug
and let it rest for a while and tried again. Response was same!

Does anyone know where to get the service manual for it? Or does anyone
have some other tips for me? Except the advice of sending it back to
Philips. I would prefer to make it work myself if it is just some
configuration setting which needs to be reset.

Thanks in advance,
/KS

If you aren't experienced in electronics, the likelyhood of repairing the
unit yourself is slim. Even for a tech, DVD players are often not worth the
time and effort due to ever falling prices of new players.

There's no configurations or adjustments which serve to restore a faulty
appliance, they are there to set the unit up in the factory, and to
compensate for tolerances when new parts are fitted.

If you attempt to adjust anything, you won't fix it, you will add another
problem which will need addressing should the original fault be repaired.
The unit should be under warranty, contact the place you bought it from.
Don't be tempted to remove the covers or you may void your warranty.

Dave