Gunner Asch

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:23:17 -0700, Eric R Snow
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 22:00:20 -0400, Artemia Salina
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 18:10:29 +0000, T.Alan Kraus wrote:

A well used revolver will develop cylinder gaps that are of the order
you mention. The usual recourse is to remove the barrel, and if screwed
in, add threads, so that you can close the cylinder gap to .005 -. 010.

Do you know specifically what part(s) wear to cause this increased gap?
Moving the barrel back to compensate doesn't sound like the best fix
if the wear is in the cylinder somewhere.

Thanks, from a curious armchair gunsmith.

I need to be more clear in my posts. On the back end of the cylinder
are teeth which are used for indexing. These teeth are flat on top and
rotate against a machined surface which limits the movement of the
cylinder away from the barrel. With shells in the cylinder there is a
.004 gap between the rear of the shell and the back of the opening
where the cylinder fits. I think this part is called the frame.
Anyway, with the cylinder travel away from the barrel limited by the
teeth on the cylinder and if they were severly worn by the shells
themselves there is a large gap. If the cylinder is pushed all the way
forward this gap is about .002. So, it seems that two fixes are
possible. Either build up the teeth on the cylinder and re-machine to
the desired length (hard), or remove the barrel and machine the
shoulder to the desired clearance (not as hard). If the second option
is used the end of the spud which limits forward travel will either
have to be built up and re-machined, or a washer will need to be used,
or the spud can be removed, the cylinder counterbored, and a new spud
machined and pressed into the cylinder. I think that's clear enough.
But I often have a hard making myself understood. I'd be a lousy
teacher.
ERS

If the gap is within reason with a loaded cylinder..dont bother with
it. This particular arm is notable for its loose tolerences. Which is
why they last forever.

While at the range, load the cylinder. Pull the hammer to the rearmost
postition and hold it. Pull the trigger, while continuing to hold the
hammer back, and check the cylinder for looseness..IE see if it will
rotate any significant amount. If so, then there are some things that
need to be adressed, but if not...dont worry about it.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner