Andy Hall

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:05:33 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:57:38 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

| On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 10:18:33 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
| wrote:
|
| There is a disagreement in another thread as to the adequacy of hot water
| supplies from combi boilers.
|
| There must be lots of people here with them, so will these people please
| answer the question
| "Are you satisfied with hot water from a combi boiler, without extra
| storage".
|
| I will start, because I look after a combi boiler in a semi commercial
| kitchen at the Curry Project. We are very satisfied with the Hot water
| there, especially because the hot water is food quality, because it is not
| stored. We can fill the urn up with water from the hot tap. I have had
| this confirmed by the local Environmental Health Officer.
|

| This is a pointless survey because
|
| 1) Most people here do not run semi-commercial kitchens

That is a downright daft comment.

No it isn't. Suggesting that the factors that make a combi useful in
a semi commercial kitchen would be important to a domestic user
certainly is.

Many will have domestic installations, I only included it because for most
hot water systems in the UK it is a * Very Bad Idea* to drink from the Hot
water tap. I happen to know that Combis are different.

You wouldn't actually *drink* from the hot water tap because the water
is at 60 degrees. If you were to use it for food preparation, it
would almost certainly be boiled anyway. In terms of washing
dishes, the issue is pretty much irrelevant. If they are washed by
hand, then bacteria etc. would be transferred to the dishes in
handling anyway. If a dishwasher is used, then almost all these days
heat from cold water anyway.

In short, the potable hot water argument for a combi in a domestic
situation is a very thin one.

| 2) Some people may have only used a combi boiler and have nothing to
| compare it with.

Thy will know if they have problems

Will they? You thought that 9lpm was fast enough to fill a bath. I
think that 2-3 times that is becoming more reasonable. If somebody
has only ever had the low flow rate of a combi or gas multipoint, they
may not know that one can do a great deal better.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl