John Chase

"Hawke" wrote...
[ snip ]
Medical care is one of those issues that absolutely
cannot please both the free-enterprise crowd and the
social-equity crowd. Throw the profit-hungry drug
and medical profession into it and it's a guaranteed
mess.

You are right there. We just have to face the fact that the private
enterprise system for delivering health care to 300 million Americans
won't
work. I think it's safe to say that we have tried it and it has not
worked.

Perhaps we haven't tried hard enough?

We've been trying "gun control" in various forms since Reconstruction, and
it hasn't worked. Yet we keep trying it, regardless of cost (monetary and
non-monetary), and it's still failing miserably.

We've been trying "drug prohibition" in various forms since
I-don't-know-when, and it hasn't worked. Yet we keep trying it, regardless
of cost (monetary and non-monetary), and it's still failing miserably.

So why not keep trying the free-enterprise delivery systems for health care?
What have we got to lose, that we haven't already lost?

If we were not such a crooked and corrupt country we would look at what
every other country is doing, see what works and what doesn't, and create
new system that does at the minimum a good job of caring for everyone. We
could do it but it's a matter of overcoming special interests, which is
why
nothing has changed for so long.

And then there's that "embarrassing" 13th Amendment....

Those with the gold make the rules and they
like things the way they are.

And too many of those without the gold are simply unwilling to try to earn
some of it from the "haves"; content instead to sit back and demand that
"somebody" send in the "men with guns" to expropriate *all* of it, and NOT
for the purpose of "equal redistribution". (If you really think they would
redistribute the gold equally, then I want to sell you some ocean-front real
estate in Leadville, Colorado.)

After we go broke then we'll do what I am recommending, but not before.

Don't hold your breath.

-jc-

Hawke