Jeff Wisnia

Lawrence L'Hote wrote:
"Bill Alliston" wrote in message

Now the metal working related question! If I let this run in the
background in my
shop to get rid of the smell from rancid oil etc. would it build to unsafe
concentrations of ozone. It's a fairly large room (24 x 24)

DAGS

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemi...ealth_ozo.html

...judge for yourself

larry

I hope I'm not remembering this wrong, but I believe I started hearing
about a year ago that those "Ionic Breeze" air purifiers that Sharper
Image and other shops and TV ads flog put out enough ozone to be
considered by some a health hazard. Probably the same thing would apply
to their competition's air ionizing "purifiers".

In the last few weeks I've noticed that the Ionic Breeze TV ads are
touting the fact that they now have some sort of catalytic converter on
them which, If I heard it correctly, turns the ozone back into oxygen.

Regarding your "blue bulb": Years ago some home laundry dryers had a UV
"germicide bulb" in them which looked like an automotive tail lamp bulb
and ran on low voltage. It had a filament in it and I think the glass
was a type which would pass UV.

I bought one of those bulbs about 20 years ago from an appliance parts
shop, mounted it inside a soup can shield with a doorbell transformer
and dropping resistor tacked on and used it to clear those old UV
eraseable EPROM static memory chips.

It looked sort of blueish inside when lit, the couple of times I risked
one eye and peeked at it at arms length. :-)

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia