Bill Alliston

Charles, Leo, Lawrence, Glenn and Eric

Thanks Guys

The ozonator was worth it's weight in gold for me as this was an 05 model car. At first I
thought it was just the stinky evergreen tree hanging on the mirror but after the car was
bought and paid for I realized that the odor was never going to come out on it's own.

The thing is that it works amazingly well and I just wanted to relay that to the group.

Now , I had done some reading and some places it says the 03 is a very safe disinfectant
and other places where it says it is dangerous. In any case I will err on the side of
safety.

Again thank you all.

Eric R Snow wrote:

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:42:44 -0400, Bill Alliston
wrote:

After a month of driving with the vents wide open in my new used car, I decided that
I had to do something about the sickly smell of pine scent. (The stink was clearly
not going to just, go away on it's own.)

OK . . . . So,,, I already had a ozonator operating on my swimming pool. So I
disconnected it from the pool and jury rigged a 6-9 volt CPU fan over the air inlet
hole and drove it with one of the many power adapters that had kicking around.
Connected both the fan and the ozonator. (Appears to simply be a rectangular air
tight
box with a blue UV?? bulb inside and a half inch air inlet hole on one end and an air

outlet hole on either end.) I ran an extension cord out to the car and let the
ozonator run for about 20 hours.

At noon the next day I opened all the windows and aired the car out really well.

When I got in and took her for a test run, I couldn't believe my nose. That sickly
sweet heavy pine scent was gone and nothing else was left behind. Just a totally
neutral odor,,, NOTHING! The smell of death was gone!

Now the metal working related question! If I let this run in the background in my
shop to get rid of the smell from rancid oil etc. would it build to unsafe
concentrations of ozone. It's a fairly large room (24 x 24)

Thanks

Don't do it. Besides being really reactive with rubber and many
plastics it will also react with the living tissue in your lungs. The
extra oxygen atom combines real easy with all sorts of stuff and kills
cells. This is why your pool has an ozonator. It is a good
disinfectant. I wouldn't use it in your car again if you can help it
because it will start to damage rubber items. Like door and window
seals. It is a good deodorant, as you found out. It is used to
deodorize houses after fires, dead refrigerators that leak meat juice,
cat and dog pee, etc. But the oxide layer that stops the odors is thin
and if disturbed will start to smell again. So the houses are
deodorized and then painted to seal.
ERS