Meoww

Default Damp under upstairs window. Porous sill?

Phil Addison wrote in message . ..
On 21 Jun 2004 09:05:57 -0700, (Meoww) wrote:

Phil Addison wrote in message . ..
My daughter's house has had a patch of damp appearing under the upstairs
windows since she bought the house 5 years ago from a builder (I did

big snip

I think you might be barking up the wrong tree here Phil.

It's almost certain that your problems are due to the outside
rendering and the poor detailing/workmanship of the window.

big snip two

It sounds like you're on the right track if you've sealed the cill.
The chances of it being porous are quite remote and if it is, you
could probably cure this with a water repellant.

It's difficult to envisage exactly what you've got but if you've
removed the plasterwork from the inside, you should be able to see if
there's a dpc there or not. However, if you can't see it, it could be
quite a major job to put one in and you're probably better going along
the sealing it all route.

Make sure water can't blow in from underneath and from the sides and
that's about all you can do. I presume you're making good these seals
with mastic?

From your description of where the wall is wet it certainly looks like
the culprit is the cill and not the wall.

Just don't re-plaster internally with a waterproof mix. Browning and
skim will do quite nicely for inside. If you haven't cured the problem
at least you'll be able to see its manifestations and not run the risk
of wet/dry rot further down! You may get effloresence until it all
dries out but wiping this off is easy and it'll stop when the
brickwork is dry.

Don't suppose you can post a photograph?

Cheers

Patrick