Jim

Travis Jordan wrote:
Crash Gordon wrote:
That's an interesting question though. I wonder if VOIP users are
paying tele taxes presently? I would think so..but dunno.

Nope, they're not. The FCC said last year and in subsequent rulings
that VoIP is an "unregulated information service" and not subject to
traditional state public utility control or oversight.

I've wondered about this.
For instance, up until a couple of years ago, VoIP wasn't important.
The standard Telco bills run rampant with surcharges, state and Fed
taxes, and fees. And on cell phones, a 911 surcharge and some such
other surcharge to help pay for people to have cellular service in
rural areas, so I am told.(Wha ?)

If VoIP is not taxable, and it begins to seriously compete with the
Telcos, ........... Somewhere, sometime, someone, is going to miss the
revenue and ...... guess what's going to get taxed? I'm also waiting
for the tax revenue to be missed by all of the internet purchases.
Anyone want to make bets on when that little balloon is going to burst?

Isn't it all just a case of ......... (whisper) Let's just let them all
get used to using it, until they can't do without it and it becomes a
necessity. THENNNNN we'll REALLY blast them with more taxes and
surcharges than we ever could of charged doin it the old way. (Chuckle,
chuckle, wringing hands with a greedy, sinister grin)