Robert L Bass

That's right for now, voip don't pay into the systems
they are using.

I disagree. VoIP providers like Vonage spend millions every
month on telephone service. Any VoIP call to a standard
telephone line requires a conventional phone line at some
point.

... those low voip rates are going up if you want 9-1-1
service. Add another buck or two a month...

AFAIK that's not correct, friend. 911 service is not subject to
extra charges.

Let's not forget that voip has ZERO standards that they
have to meet...

IME conventional telcos have rarely met the established
standards. As to price increases, that's just part of
telecommunications service -- no matter what type of line you
choose.

If state and federal agencies get too many complaints
they will want to cover their cost and that means voip
paying just like the phone company.

Huh? Cost of getting consumer complaints??? Every state DPUC
I've ever known mainly ignores consumer complaints. They do an
excellent job of rubber-stamping telco rate hike requests though.

Voip is cheap 'cause it's not phone service, anyone
who thinks it is or that it will conquer the world is
full of it...

Those of us who actually use VoIP every day might tend to
disagree with you. I've had the service for over a year. At
first there were major quality and reliability issues so I only
used it as an overflow for my POTS lines.

The service has improved to the point where it is now *almost* as
good as conventional telco service. It won't work at all if the
power fails so it isn't as safe as a POTS line. Digital alarm
monitoring signals seem to have trouble using VoIP too so it's
not ideal for that purpose either. However, as a voice telecom
service it's excellent. It's also much less expensive than POTS.

The near future will, IMO, see a significant growth in VoIP
usage. I'm particularly interested in developing services, such
as auto-attendant system.

Voip is getting a second look now that people have been
nearly killed using it and because it's not "REAL" phone
service, and rates are going up as they start paying
their way and the free rides end.

Can't afford the broad speed Internet service that VoIP requires,
eh?

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass