Jim Stewart

Hawke wrote:

Have you seen the hordes of Americans going the other way to get their drugs
there? As usual you can't see both sides of the issue. All you see is
America is the best whether it is or not. All Canadians are covered by at
least some health care, 50 million Americans have none whatsoever.

I'm not sure what you mean by "health care" and I'm
not sure where you get the 50 million number. That
said, virtually everyone in the US can get subsidized
health care if he/she is poor enough. A case in point
is a coworker of mine that got a $250,000 bone marrow
transplant at Stanford hospital for a couple thousand
dollars.

That
alone out to make a dent in your thick skull that something is wrong when
the richest country in the world doesn't have a good enough system for all
it's people to get health care without going bankrupt. You of all people
should see the flaws in this system. But then you have to have two good eyes
to see and you obviously are impaired. In more ways than one.

Well, there is a big problem, but it's not that we're
unwilling to spend the money. The US spends more
per-capita for healthcare than any other nation. The
trick is to make it work well for those who can afford
it and make it work tolerable well for those who can't.

Medical care is one of those issues that absolutely
cannot please both the free-enterprise crowd and the
social-equity crowd. Throw the profit-hungry drug
and medical profession into it and it's a guaranteed
mess.