nightjar

Default How much does a 'standard' paving slab weigh?

wrote in message ...
Set Square wrote:

How much does a 'standard' 600mm x 900mm paving slab weigh
(approximately)? I want to know so I can guesstimate how many I can
put in the back of my car.

If you're talking about the pressed granite sort used by local

authorities,
I always reckon that a 2x2 weighs a hundredweight, and a 3x2 a

hundredweight
and a half.

On that basis, one of your 600x900 (nearly a 3x2) will be about 70Kg.

Thanks, so about a person per slab, maybe two lots of 5 would be
sensible then.

Look in your handbook for the maximum permitted tow hook weight to get an
idea of what the boot can cope with. You can go up slightly on that, because
the moment arm is less, but not by much. My guess would be two or three
slabs in the average car.

Colin Bignell