Artemia Salina

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 07:46:23 -0700, Eric R Snow wrote:

I have two .22 pistols. Both are H&R brand. One is the Trapper model
and has a 7 round cylinder. When the cylinder is pushed toward the
trigger there is almost .030 between the end of the cylinder and the
barrel. This gun is LOUD. even shooting CB shorts. I want, and can see
how, to remove the barrel. Then the barrel can be machined so that it
goes farther into the frame. If I do this, how much clearance should
there be?

I just Googled around a bit to see if I could find info on recommended
cylinder/barrel gap for .22 pistols, and while I could no specific
numbers, the general thinking seems to be that tighter is better.
You lose a lot of power through that gap.

What I'm most concerned about however is that you say you can push
the cylinder toward the trigger (did you mean hammer?). If so,
this condition should be remedied before any other work is done.
Any movement of the cylinder should be minimized to insure accuracy
and to prevent loss of power/velocity (and possibly safety if it
should spit powder or lead out of the gap). I would remove the cylinder
and look for where the play is occurring, and then go from there
to fix the problem.

The other pistol is a top break with a 9 round cylinder. I
am entertaining the idea of buying or making a new cylinder that can
chamber .22 magnums. Is there a way for a layman to determine if the
pistol can safely shoot .22 magnums?

If that's the model 999 Sportsman, then I used to have one of those
many years ago. While the specimen I had was okay, I've read mixed
reviews about their quality. It doesn't seem to have been produced in
a magnum version, and given its suspect quality I don't think I'd
push it unless you have a way to safely test fire it (in a steel
shroud with remote firing set up).

P.S. I'm not a gunsmith, though I did have ambitions of becoming one
when I was young.