Bruce L. Bergman

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 19:39:52 GMT, Ignoramus11916
wrote:
On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 19:12:40 GMT, Bruce in Alaska wrote:

I just scored a 36Vdc Forklift Battery for my operations,
that had a total of 200 hours of use. (the forklift died, and no parts
available for that old of unit) I will be splitting the bank into two
seperate systems, one 24Vdc for my Trace 4024, and one 12Vdc to run
the 12V Buss in the Cabin. The Trace will be charging the 24Vdc bank,
and I have a very nice 40 Amp Regulated PowerSupply to float across
the 12Vdc bank. Nothing like a 1200Amp/Hr battery to keep things running
while the gensets rests.

Very nice. I will check out forklift batteries in my area.

If you want another idea on getting big batteries for cheap, call
the local telephone companies, or big computer centers with big
inverters, and see what they will have in their "Surplus" pile.

Those users have several strings of 1200AH, 2400AH, 4200AH and
larger single cell lead calcium deep-cycle wet cells that you can
assemble into any voltage you want, and the whole string of 26 is
usually retired at the very first sign of aging of any one cell -
meaning most of them have several years left in them.

Normally they just send them back for recycling, at several hundred
pounds of lead per cell, and they are heavy enough that shipping them
long distances to be recycled is an issue. But if you get there first
and reserve the next batch they pull...

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545