Bill B

charlie b wrote:
PIcked up the SuperNova2 and the Pin Jaws. Cleaned them
up put the chuck on the JET midi lathe and now I'm concerned
about my drive head bearings. This is NOT a delicate little
thing - but rather an 8+ pound, 3 3/4" diameter, 2 " thick
chunk of steel - without the jaws. And its center line is
sitting 2 1/2" from the nearest bearing.

The other issue is the JAWS manual's "DO NOT EXCEED 684 RPMS"
for any of the jaws. Fortunately the JET variable speed
starts at 500 rpms but the slow speed seems to conflict with
the general consensus that higher speeds are better than
lower speeds.

Was also surprised that the chuck came with no manual
and a two page "instructions" sheet - AND a DVD. COOL -
a DVD. But there's almost no video - four short mpeg
files - but the rest is either image files or pdf files. That
sucks.

Have to clean up the shop of the residue of three utility
shelves - 6 shelves each - and clear off the workbench
before trying this puppy out.

Also picked up Raffan's tape - his skew seems an
extension of his arms and hands. My teeth go on
edge watching him wield that skew and hog out huge
quantities of wood - starting with the long point!

Got one of Mike Darlow's (the author of the article
Turning Tools, Spotting Design Flaws) books -
The Fundamentals of Woodturning. I was trained
in engineering so his explanations and illustrations
of the mechanics of turning and the use of tools
is something I can understand, rather than accept
"do it this way because that's the way I do it and
I'm an expert.". If I can understand "what and
why" I can figure out "how" myself.

Relaltive to furniture making, turning seems
to be The Wild Wild West - a hundred ways
to do things and only one or two that don't
require 100-200 hours of practice with a lot
of trial and error - to say nothing of the
Pucker Factor. Probably should take a class
DUH!

Fun this turning thing.

charliel b.

The lawyers are probably setting the RPM's at 680. When I got my first
Nova chuck I think it said 800. I have the original Nova and the
Supernova. I run both up to 2500 rpm. Me thinks they may be worried
about the liability of you getting smacked by a piece of wood if it
comes off. I've had several pieces come off at all speeds and the most
they ever did was drop down and spin on the floor a bit.

For the slow RPM is safer crowd - aside from bowls coming apart, and
they come apart at all speeds, the catches are bigger and nastier at
slow speed, the cuts are rougher at slow speed, etc. Crank it up to
where you are comfortable and enjoy, and the wood can tolerate - don't
try spinning poor or out of balance wood at 2500! If 500 is the max you
feel good at, then run at 500. I typically rough around 500 and keep
bumping the speed up as it smoothes out until I am in the 1500-2000
range. Pieces are finished by the tool, I rarely have to sand anything.
You mention Raffan, ever notice how fast (my guess is 2500+) his lathe
is spinning? Notice he uses a variety of chucks? Notice he only gives
a swipe with the paper and calls it done?

Practice with the skew. It's my favorite and can be your favorite too.
Just takes lots of practice, and speed. Slower RPMs seem to be the
nemisis of the skew, at least for me.

--
Bill Berglin

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, 'WOW! What A RIDE!!" ... Unknown