User Example

Banty wrote:
In article , User Example says...

MisterSkippy wrote:

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:51:13 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Do these guys really have so much
work that they can be this way with potential customers?

Sometimes, yes, "these guys" do have so much work. It depends on the
potential customer. Sometimes I'll get a call from someone who starts
breaking my chops and conducting an inquisition before I have even
seen the job. They'll demand a firm estimate over the phone to be
followed up by the FREE written estimate, the scheduling of which is
to be at their convenience regardless of my work schedule. Before I've
even seen the job they demand chapter and verse about how the job will
actually be done and what materials will be used.
Anyone who is any good doesn't need that kind of customer. They have
plenty of work. I just thank them for calling and tell them I'll get
back to them when I can assure them of a firm appointment for an
estimate. Then I just forget about them. Life's too short.
Did I describe you?

Although you don't want these kinds of customers I can probably tell you
that these types of customers probably don't want you either. You just
said that you tell them you will call them back but then you just forget
about them. That tells me that (1) you are a liar and (2) you don't
have much respect for your customers.

The reason some customers make such demands is because there are a lot
of contractors out there who show up, do crappy work, and then cash the
pay check before the customer has time to figure out that the work that
was done was sloppy and needs to be fixed. Then when they try to get
the contractor to come back and fix it they get the runaround of "that's
the way it is supposed to be" or "that's as good as I can get it based
on what you have" or "you should have said something before I left the
worksite".

If you do all of your own work, how do you 'know' this stuff??

IME and IMNSHO as a homeowner, I've found contractors to be pretty good, even
excellent. That's probably because I go through word-of-mouth when I can, and,
even if not say for a small job, I can tell who is good and who isn't. And
approach the whole thing as something of a partnership.

Maybe you have a problem dealing with people that prevents you from making these
connections and observations.

Actually, my guess is that you are like many others who can't tell good
work from bad work and that you get screwed over and don't know about it.