On 6 Sep 2005 04:13:48 GMT, (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

According to clarence at snyder dot on dot ca:
I just picked up a Jensen Model 25 steam engine with electric boiler.
It was in a sad state, but I've got it all cleaned up and running
now.I have a question though, about lubrication.

How do I effectively lubricate this engine? Oiling the bearings and
eccentrics is no problem, but is there an oil I should be mixing with
the boiler water to lube the cyl and valves? I was thinking something
along the line of water pump lubricant or some other "soluble oil"

*Here* is what you want:

http://www.tinypower.com/store.php?crn=57&rn=279&action=show_detail

Made for lubricating steam engines. (I'm sure that there are other
sources, but this is one which I had looked at only today.) (No -- I
have had no dealings with them -- yet, but I am tempted.)

I'm also getting a bit of water dripping from the "stuffing box" I
imagine this is due to some wear over the last 50+ years and there is
not much that can be done to stop it?. This is a reversable dual
action single cyl unit - really a nice little engine.

It might just need the stuffing renewed.

Good Luck,
DoN.

Is this oil added to the boiler feed? At what rate?