Default live steam models

I just picked up a Jensen Model 25 steam engine with electric boiler.
It was in a sad state, but I've got it all cleaned up and running
now.I have a question though, about lubrication.

How do I effectively lubricate this engine? Oiling the bearings and
eccentrics is no problem, but is there an oil I should be mixing with
the boiler water to lube the cyl and valves? I was thinking something
along the line of water pump lubricant or some other "soluble oil"

I'm also getting a bit of water dripping from the "stuffing box" I
imagine this is due to some wear over the last 50+ years and there is
not much that can be done to stop it?. This is a reversable dual
action single cyl unit - really a nice little engine.
DoN. Nichols

According to clarence at snyder dot on dot ca:
I just picked up a Jensen Model 25 steam engine with electric boiler.
It was in a sad state, but I've got it all cleaned up and running
now.I have a question though, about lubrication.

How do I effectively lubricate this engine? Oiling the bearings and
eccentrics is no problem, but is there an oil I should be mixing with
the boiler water to lube the cyl and valves? I was thinking something
along the line of water pump lubricant or some other "soluble oil"

*Here* is what you want:

http://www.tinypower.com/store.php?crn=57&rn=279&action=show_detail

Made for lubricating steam engines. (I'm sure that there are other
sources, but this is one which I had looked at only today.) (No -- I
have had no dealings with them -- yet, but I am tempted.)

I'm also getting a bit of water dripping from the "stuffing box" I
imagine this is due to some wear over the last 50+ years and there is
not much that can be done to stop it?. This is a reversable dual
action single cyl unit - really a nice little engine.

It might just need the stuffing renewed.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

[...]

Is this oil added to the boiler feed? At what rate?

NO, you do not want oil of any kind in a boiler, it impairs heat
transfer and is destructive.
I would not be concerned about cylinder lubrication of an engine of
this type unless you plan to run it a lot.
If you do, I'd recomend a condensation type lubricator installed in the
steam supply line. These devices have a chamber filled with the type of
oil as mentioned by DoN and have a means of allowing steam into the
chamber where it condenses and the water displaces the oil, causing it
to run out into the steam pipe and down to the cylinder.
Check out:

http://www33.brinkster.com/iiiii/mcc...ion-steam.html

Engineman

Hemlock Soames

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 12:23:03 -0400,
wrote:

On 6 Sep 2005 04:13:48 GMT,
(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

[...]

See if there is a little fitting of some type with a screw top on
the 'ouptut' side of the boiler, possibly downstream from a steam
control stop-valve and before the engine steam intake. This is the
oiiling arrangement on many small model engines.

One unscrews the fitting and puts in 2-3 drops of steam oil each
time the engine is run. Most of this oil winds up being discharged
more or less at once but presumably enough 'sticks' to perform its
function.

I've had a small supply of steam oil for some years but I've heard
that a few drops of motor oil can be used in a pinch. Dunno if that
is true.

Soames

'Never mind world peace, visualize using your turn signal'

Live Steam Larry Metalworking 3 May 8th 05 06:08 PM
Let's talk steam Robert Swinney Metalworking 31 September 15th 04 10:00 AM
Need Help With Stuck Steam Pipe Vito Cavallo Home Repair 7 November 18th 03 03:51 PM
Adjusting/Controlling Heat on Steam Radiators Ezra Cove Home Repair 6 October 20th 03 04:20 PM
F&G Concept 2000 Consumer Unit Live Busbar Query Andy Taylor UK diy 1 September 3rd 03 01:52 PM