Mike Dodd

Default Diamond wheel tile cutters

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
Having just done another floor with a score and snap cutter, I feel
obliged to sing the praises of this method for straight cuts. The Rubi
uses a forward stroke and snaps from the far end of the score, which
gives you a time of around 10 seconds per tile (no, I didn't break any
and, no, I'm not a pro). I know time isn't everything but, faced with
lopping an inch off 24 tiles, I'm glad I wasn't having to saw them.

The snag starts when it's less than perhaps an inch, and the score and
snap method fails. Especially where it's the inch part that's needed.

Personally, I enjoy using my diamond wheel cutter, even although it takes
more time. Different if you're a pro and time is money, I suppose.

I'd second the recommendation for the score-and-snap cutters, in particular
(in the DIY range and B&Q shelf availability) the Plasplug (bah!) Contractor
version, with the single action score-and-snap (rather than the cheaper
version where you score, then reposition the tile to snap). I use this for
95% of all cuts, a lot quicker and cleaner that the diamon-disc cutters, but
for that last 5% of "awkward" cuts (e.g. concave angles or nibbling arcs
etc.) then the diamond cutters come into their own. For £20 for the
Contracter cutter, I'd suggest it's not a case of which of the tools is
better, rather, both of the tools will help in their own way.

Regards