Alan

Charlie,

Don't be too scared of teh skew, exsecially planing with teh long
point down. Here is why:
You have MOREW control, the tool is closer to the axix of the lathe
which makes it easier to direct...it IS more like an extesion of your
arm this way.

I've been lucky enough to talk with both turners you mention and see
them demonstrating. I find it great to hear your comments about Mike
darlow as I fully agree; there is a place for mor details
explanations. Unfortunately, many find this too difficult (or don't
want to try and understand it). Richard Raffan sure knows his stuff
(comes from doing so much production turning in his early days).

Finally, until you try using the skew long point diwn, you'll never
appreciate how much more control you have. From my brief experience,
you are more likely to get into trouble if you are too cautious..you
have to use some force or the wood WILL catch minimally and generate a
bigger catch (and trouble).

safe turning,
Alan

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 17:43:49 -0700, charlie b
wrote:

PIcked up the SuperNova2 and the Pin Jaws. Cleaned them
up put the chuck on the JET midi lathe and now I'm concerned
about my drive head bearings. This is NOT a delicate little
thing - but rather an 8+ pound, 3 3/4" diameter, 2 " thick
chunk of steel - without the jaws. And its center line is
sitting 2 1/2" from the nearest bearing.

The other issue is the JAWS manual's "DO NOT EXCEED 684 RPMS"
for any of the jaws. Fortunately the JET variable speed
starts at 500 rpms but the slow speed seems to conflict with
the general consensus that higher speeds are better than
lower speeds.

Was also surprised that the chuck came with no manual
and a two page "instructions" sheet - AND a DVD. COOL -
a DVD. But there's almost no video - four short mpeg
files - but the rest is either image files or pdf files. That
sucks.

Have to clean up the shop of the residue of three utility
shelves - 6 shelves each - and clear off the workbench
before trying this puppy out.

Also picked up Raffan's tape - his skew seems an
extension of his arms and hands. My teeth go on
edge watching him wield that skew and hog out huge
quantities of wood - starting with the long point!

Got one of Mike Darlow's (the author of the article
Turning Tools, Spotting Design Flaws) books -
The Fundamentals of Woodturning. I was trained
in engineering so his explanations and illustrations
of the mechanics of turning and the use of tools
is something I can understand, rather than accept
"do it this way because that's the way I do it and
I'm an expert.". If I can understand "what and
why" I can figure out "how" myself.

Relaltive to furniture making, turning seems
to be The Wild Wild West - a hundred ways
to do things and only one or two that don't
require 100-200 hours of practice with a lot
of trial and error - to say nothing of the
Pucker Factor. Probably should take a class
DUH!

Fun this turning thing.

charliel b.