I believe the Aluminum Manufacturers Association or whatever the
correct title recommends constant current for MIG welding aluminum.
Which kind of makes sense to me. You need constant voltage for Short
Arc, but I would think Constant Current would work better for Spray.
Do you have any experience or knowledge on this?

I tried MIG welding aluminum and did not have much luck. Maybe it is
time to try again. For trying to find out the right settings at home,
what thickness of aluminum would you recommend for a beginner to try.

Dan

Gary H. Lucas wrote:

Gunner,
Are you Mig welding aluminum? If so I can give some useful hints. There
are a couple of things that will tell you if you are doing it right.

First, look at the end of the wire sticking out of the gun after welding.
Is the end a sharp point or a round ball? If it is a round ball, then you
are using short arc and aluminum should be welded in spray arc mode. Raise
your voltage a little at a time until you get spray arc.

Please let me know how you make out.

Gary H. Lucas