chris French

Default Buying a house - flooding risk info.

In message , Peter Taylor
writes

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message

"Peter Taylor" wrote in message
Chris, try this website. It's a cut down version of the prog the

professionals
use. You just type in your postcode and it tells you all the info you

might
need. Could be a bit frightening though! Good luck.

http://www.homecheck.co.uk

It also seems to be a bit broad brush. I got the same flood warning level
for a property that I know has suffered floods, for one that used to have
floods until a new pumping station was built 20 years ago and for one that
has never flooded in recorded history.

Yeah, that's what I meant by frightening.

TBH, I didn't find it particularly useful - I can probably work out form
a map if a house is within 250 of a floodplain - which is what it seems
to tell you. Hmm, somewhere with the address of 'White Fen' is
surprisingly :-)

I've got a grip on what the current sort of risk is I guess - ISTM that
the Fens in general are probably less of a risk than say an old house
near a river, or a new house on a floodplain, where there just aren't
the defences. what I've really been pondering is what turn things might
take in the future.

Anyway thanks for the comments everyone, progress towards a job has
taken many twists and turns , so I'm just waiting to see how it all pans
out.

Also I heard of a woman who was buying a house
locally and used this website to discover that the Radon level here is Medium
and that 1% -3% of homes in this area are above the Radon "Action Level".
That's quite low compared to some areas,

Indeed, as in hardly any :-)

but she got it in her head this place
is dangerous and chickened out.

Well that was silly, she needs to learn to understand a simple statistic
:-)

It would be interesting to hear what Radon
levels other people get.

We are in a 1% of houses above action level area (not surprising given
we live in Leeds)
--
Chris French, Leeds