chris French

Default Buying a house - flooding risk info.

In message , nightjar
writes

"chris French" wrote in message

There is a good possibility that we may be moving from Leeds to the
Cambridge/Huntingdon area this year, depending on how SWMBO's new job
hunting goes.

We've been on the web of course having a look at potential houses, now
of course being where it is, quite a lot of those are on the Fens (We
are looking for a country property). On the face of it potentially, an
area prone to flooding,

so I've been trying to find some info on this, but haven't found much
really helpful.

One of the insurance companies (I think Norwich Union) has done a much more
detailed anaylsis of flood risk. They hope to get an edge on the competition
by offereing lower premiums to houses where local conditions reduce the
risk. They may be able to help. Even just getting a quote from them might be
a good indication of the risk.

Certainly getting insurance quotes was going to be one of the things if
we get to that point.

However, if I had to live in the flat, uninteresting and wind-swept part of
the country, I would probably follow the example of one farmer and build a
large embankment around my house and garden.

I'm sure it could be a 'feature' :-)
--
Chris French, Leeds