N. Thornton

Default Scary Tools {Was: Diamond wheel tile cutters}

(Lobster) wrote in message . com...
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:22:55 +0100, Terry D wrote:

BTW, what gets the vote for the most frightening DIY appliance. I
think my vote must go to chain saws, closely followed by hedge
trimmers.

My cheap'n cheerful 5-quid Screwfix angle-grinder. I used it on the
first day it arrived, and it cut out. Put it down to check the plug;
oops sure enough it had come slightly out of the socket so I pushed it
home. At which point I discovered that the angle-grinder switch,
which was quite stiff, had a lock-on position (why??). It immediately
burst into life and shot across the room, passing about two inches
from my leg. A salutary lesson indeed.
David

I like the more dangerous ones as they do so much so easily. But....
the price tag is all too easily bad bad bad. I think one of the more
dangerous ones is the innocent looking planer. Its high pitched
purring disguises its ravenous appetite for anything that so much as
touches it. Angle grinder, chainsaw, and circ saw are the obvious
others. Maybe I've missed soemthing? What about props used when
digging under foundations and removing supporting walls etc?

Regards, NT