Vaughn

"Artemia Salina" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 08:00:41 -0700, doo wrote:

We pay our taxes with the idea that the government is working for us.
One of the things that the government is supposed to do is rescue us
in times of disaster.

OK, but two thoughts;
1) Yes, but we should not not expect out rescuer to be sent by the federal
government. This why we have local and state governments, they should be the
first responders and should be the #1 responsible parties for the event. The
Federal function should be supportive, not preemptive.
2) Just because we have governments does not mean that we should leave
everything in their hands. If possible, we should conduct our affairs in such a
way that we do not NEED rescue.

Supposedly the people left behind in NO were unable to leave for
various reasons.

Unable or UNWILLING.

Why wasn't transportation and shelter provided for
these people in order to get them out of the area before the storm
hit? It would've saved a lot of lives.

I agree, and was wondering about this while watching those poor people
stand in line for hours on end waiting to enter the Superdome before the storm.
Why not just load them into school buses and get them out of town? Had they
done that, they would have had many more living people remaining after the
disaster...and more schoolbuses!

And cripes, why didn't they at least evacuate the hospitals and nursing
homes before the storm??

Good point.

Vaughn