pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Pope Secola VI wrote back
on Sun, 04 Sep 2005 11:48:01 -0700 in misc.survivalism :

Four days is about what I would have expected for a out of state guard
unit to get to the New Orleans area.

What makes me angry is these no brain arm chair experts that have never
been in this kind of a situation think that if they were president they
would just snap their fingers and it would all be done.

They just don't know it doesn't work that way.

Shiites, I was just a GI Brat with the Air Force, and even I knew
nothing happens until the paperwork exceeded the gross takeoff weight of
the aircraft involved.

Fnord, I've watch the "ready" alert aircraft making a maximum effort
squadron launch, just as we arrived on base for school. (Okay, they were
tankers, probably launched to refuel the returning "strike" AC. But it
makes a better story this way.)

One of the great Legends of Strategic Command was the weekend shortly
after taking command, that Gen LeMay called an alert. One of those "launch
the birds and prep the missiles, and call me when you have done so" kind of
things. Some units didn't respond until Monday, and that was it, career
wise, for those officers. But of course, SAC was suppose to be on a war
footing as part of MAD.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
Any entity big enough to meet your needs,