Artemia Salina

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 08:00:41 -0700, doo wrote:

I guess the true questions for this post is have we as society become
so soft that we can't fend for ourselves anymore? Have we become too
reliant on people providing for us? Whatever happened to Basic Survival
101?

We pay our taxes with the idea that the government is working for us.
One of the things that the government is supposed to do is rescue us
in times of disaster. That's the whole point of DHS; attempting to
prevent disasters and providing relief when they do occur.

Seems like a reasonable thing for people to complain about when
the government sits on its hands during a disaster.

Supposedly the people left behind in NO were unable to leave for
various reasons. Why wasn't transportation and shelter provided for
these people in order to get them out of the area before the storm
hit? It would've saved a lot of lives. Isn't that what we're paying for?
Instead the local authorities went from house to house before the storm,
making people sign a form stating that they were not leaving, and why.
Why not get those who could not leave out? Its not like they didn't
know about them.

And cripes, why didn't they at least evacuate the hospitals and nursing
homes before the storm??