Martin H. Eastburn

I suggest you read Cliff -

I said bypass the city - not to kill off the Delta.
The city is at the end of the delta anyway.
The Marsh area is a massive area that needs flushing from time to time
and needs seeping - to keep up that type of life - if we want to keep it up.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Cliff wrote:
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 21:26:01 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Seems to me, a major project should be started - something like the moon race
or the Panama canal - more like it - to clean up and direct the flow
once and for all. I know the whole delta lives from the flow, but a central
channel that will drain off he fast snow melt from the central part of the country
as well as a storm that hits the port.

The Corps of Engineers seems to have dropped this ball big time. I rather suspect
(as is typical in AK and LA ...) state politics entered and a baby
channel was put through the city. Should have been pressure release valves that
would pop on the sides (by nature or man) and open flood gates that
skirt the city. Man made pumps are nice for drip and runoff. But a storm
or a flood from rain on snow requires controls that are massive.
From the looks at the channel, I think it was a major major mistake in Engineering
or even a larger on in politics. It should not continue.

Water flows both ways.
Drain the marshes == Storm surges are much worse.
Increase the speed of the Mississippi == Increase sand bars
& the power of the flow to cause the river to wander & form
new channels.
In addition, those marshes *USED* to be areas for things
like fish & shrimp to breed ....

Don't expect much Gulf seafood for a few years ... not to mention
that the Gulf is now a bit toxic ..

A better idea, IF New Orleans is to be rebuilt, is to rebuild it
with many compartments with dikes inbetween.

Probably lots of AutoCad-like folks will be needed ... IF. I'd
expect only those firms related to shipping & oil-processing
to return to the area with any great speed.
Everyone else that evacuated will need new housing & jobs
elsewhere.