Chris

"Ignoramus21934" wrote in message
I disagree with the assumption that leaving the city was the right
thing to do, given what they knew then. Hint: no one knew or could
guess that the levees would break. That was the catastrophe, not the
hurricane as such. I will appreciate being corrected if I am mistaken,
but that was not foreseeable, notwithstanding some long standing
warnings of researchers that the levee system was not as good as it
should be.

Why should I leave my house if a mere hurricane is coming. I would
rather stay in it, given that chances are that it will stay intact.
And then I need to defend the house against marauding gangs and
looters etc.

There was a cat 5 storm bearing down on a city with levies designed to
withstand a cat 3 storm. I am no fortune teller here, but good enough
reason for me to leave.

Than again you bring up a good point. Staying to defend against looters.
In a perfect world this would not be the case. We could leave our home and
save our lives and assume that our goods will be safe from looting. Than
again, not much you can do with your goods when you are a floating dead
corpse.

We have seen that NO is by far a perfect world, so common sense might not
indeed apply.

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.