Richy

I have one of those too. No-name version. It works well most of the time.

But once in a great while it makes a sound like an insect zapper and the
picture blinks on and off in a split second.

And occasionally the horizontal size of the picture spontaneously
changes to a slightly different size.

Mitchell Spector wrote:
I have a 17" Optiquest V773 monitor (CRT display) that just spontaneously
died tonight, and I'd like to figure out the fault and if it can be repaired.

What happened was I ran game (after setting the video resolution/depth
options) and immediately when clicking to launch, the screen went black,
I heard an unusually loud high pitched squeal and then video sync was
lost. At this point, I could not get the On-Screen-Menu to appear which will
normally report the monitor status (it should work without any video input
source present).

The monitor is getting power, as the power LED lights up and turns green.
However instead of hearing the tube degauss at power up, I just hear this
faint high pitched buzzing that last approximately 6 seconds, then the
power LED turns orange (to indicate no video sync). The On-Screen-Menu
will not appear at this point. Opening the monitor I was able to trace the
high pitch buzzing noise to the flyback transformer.

It would seem to me the flyback transformer is blown, or perhaps some
component that allows it to feed voltage to the CRT (a blown capacitor?)
is damaged.

I really like this particular display and would hate to have to give up on
it. Before I do, I just like to know if this sounds like it could be repaired
inexpensively.

Mitchell Spector