Mitchell Spector

Default Optiquest V773 dead, no deguass at powerup

I have a 17" Optiquest V773 monitor (CRT display) that just spontaneously
died tonight, and I'd like to figure out the fault and if it can be repaired.

What happened was I ran game (after setting the video resolution/depth
options) and immediately when clicking to launch, the screen went black,
I heard an unusually loud high pitched squeal and then video sync was
lost. At this point, I could not get the On-Screen-Menu to appear which will
normally report the monitor status (it should work without any video input
source present).

The monitor is getting power, as the power LED lights up and turns green.
However instead of hearing the tube degauss at power up, I just hear this
faint high pitched buzzing that last approximately 6 seconds, then the
power LED turns orange (to indicate no video sync). The On-Screen-Menu
will not appear at this point. Opening the monitor I was able to trace the
high pitch buzzing noise to the flyback transformer.

It would seem to me the flyback transformer is blown, or perhaps some
component that allows it to feed voltage to the CRT (a blown capacitor?)
is damaged.

I really like this particular display and would hate to have to give up on
it. Before I do, I just like to know if this sounds like it could be repaired
inexpensively.

Mitchell Spector
gb

"Mitchell Spector" wrote in message

I have a 17" Optiquest V773 monitor (CRT display) that just spontaneously
died tonight, and I'd like to figure out the fault and if it can be
repaired.

It would seem to me the flyback transformer is blown, or perhaps some
component that allows it to feed voltage to the CRT (a blown capacitor?)
is damaged.

I really like this particular display and would hate to have to give up on
it. Before I do, I just like to know if this sounds like it could be
repaired
inexpensively.

That would be my best guess, from description. Used glass monitors (coming
off lease and corporate surplus) are dirt cheap ( $50 for 21 inch models)

A good radio/TV repair shop (there are still a few around) could order the
flyback for you.

gb

Tom Del Rosso

"gb" wrote in message

That would be my best guess, from description. Used glass monitors

(coming
off lease and corporate surplus) are dirt cheap ( $50 for 21 inch

models)

Please, where can I find that deal?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add
2 more zeros and remove the obvious.

Richy

I have one of those too. No-name version. It works well most of the time.

But once in a great while it makes a sound like an insect zapper and the
picture blinks on and off in a split second.

And occasionally the horizontal size of the picture spontaneously
changes to a slightly different size.

Mitchell Spector wrote:
[...]

James Sweet

"Richy" wrote in message news:JORSe.20133$cy4.8586@trnddc05...
I have one of those too. No-name version. It works well most of the time.

But once in a great while it makes a sound like an insect zapper and the
picture blinks on and off in a split second.

And occasionally the horizontal size of the picture spontaneously
changes to a slightly different size.

Open it up and look for signs of arcing around the flyback transformer,
anode lead, and the suction cup anode cap on the tube, if you can't find
any, run it with the cover off in a dark room and look for visible arcing
when it makes that sound. If you're lucky it'll be something external to the
flyback transformer that you can fix with silicone caulk.

gb

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in message
"gb" wrote in message

That would be my best guess, from description. Used glass monitors

(coming
off lease and corporate surplus) are dirt cheap ( $50 for 21 inch

models)

Please, where can I find that deal?

Hans Systems
Westmont, IL

Sells on Internet as well as monthly at local computer show (College of
DuPage)
He has palettes of items coming "off lease" .. the school and education
institutions usually visit him on regular basis. These type of companies
exist throughout the US. Some disassemble the devices for repair parts they
sell to repair shops (or even BACK to the OEM that built it !! .. that is
how Ted Waitt (founder of Gateway) started in 1980s.

gb