BillyBob

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

I'm looking into a new car, with the express intent of reducing the
cost per mile, so that my sixty miles of commuting a day will not
continue to eat my wallet.

I'd be interested in some of this current drop of hybrids, which use
batteries - except for one thing...

Batteries Suck.

I don't know if you pay attention to boring, straight rags like consumer
reports but they give a pretty sobering picture about hybrids in this
month's issue. They are not what they are cracked up to be. I'm also
surprised at the emotional drive over a few miles per gallon. At your 60
miles/day, you could drive a car that gets a real 24 mi/gal with
conventional reliable proven gasoline engine and cost $1890/year for gas.
Or you could pay a few thousand more for an unproven hybrid and hope it will
get the purported 40 mi/gal and save $750/year. That's at $3.00/gal.

'tain't worth it to me.

Bob