Andy Hall

Default Workshop Electrics - Good Reference?

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 01:15:19 -0500, Jim Michaels
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:35:10 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I'm aware that this is an American site but just wondered if it is

accurate
enough to follow for my own project (apart from the obvious power
differences etc).

You are joking! US electrics are about as safe as attaching electrodes to
your genitals.

First we have
http://www.esfi.org/sub.php?l0=news&l1=20020904.html

In the UK, current practices are entirely different in almost every aspect.

Then we have
http://www.firesafetytoolbox.org.uk/...ty/default.htm

Adjusting for population it seems the UK is over 3 times as dangerous!

If you look at

http://www.firesafetytoolbox.org.uk/...dfirefacts.htm

you will see that only 2000 out of 28000 fires were due to fixed
wiring and that 5 lives were lost. Five too many of course, but
adjusting for population (say 60m vs. 250m), the U.S. rate of 350
would equate to 84, some 17 times worse for the U.S.

So as Christian says, it is about as safe as attaching electrodes to
your genitals (or wire-nuts if you prefer)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl