Duane Bozarth

Chris wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
I have tried to use Rust-Oleum for smaller projects, instead of dragging

out
the compressor, gun, mixing, etc. With the current project (metal)

using
Rust-Oleum I think it might be the last.

I just cannot understand why it takes so long to dry. I am following

all
the proper procedures, not too thick, proper cleaning, proper spray
application, under 40% humidity and over 70 degrees, etc...etc. In my
testing the 24 hours should be dry to touch and should only be handled

48
hours after application. I think it takes at least a week before it is
fully cured. Any wetsanding should be done after 48 hours.

PLUS the added time, greatly increases the finish, by allowing dust to
settle onto the finish. It also is just a waste of time.

With that said, what are the alternatives? Is longer dry time of

Rust-Oleum
really a benefit? Can the spray paints that dry in a few minutes really
compare? I would think these days that to be true. Car paint is dry in
minutes so why am I waiting on Rust-Oleum to dry?

Comments appreciated.

Don't know why you have to wait so long. I just
checked 3 cans of Rustoleum oil enamel (white,
aluminum, and rust red primer) and they said dry
to touch in 2-4 hours handle in 5-9 hours and
completely dry to recoat in 24 hours. In my
experience the white actually was dry to the touch
in less than 2 hours, the primer dried to the
touch in 1/2 hour.

What the hell, hasn't anyone heard of dryers? If
you are having trouble drying an oil product, put
some dryer in it. Gees, go out right now and buy
some dryer. DO IT. Lowes has it the last time I
checked, but any paint store should have it.

Kinda of hard to add a dryer to spray paint.

I should mention that I am using the Appliance Epoxy line of paint. When I
get it to work, it does have a real nice finish to it. After about 4 days
it is real hard.

Just looked at the drying time on the label, same as the normal paints that
was listed above. I just noticed that the new cans (different batch), that
I used today are yielding better results.

Yep shaking the can. I normally count to 60 seconds. Thanks to me
forgetting my place or getting distracted that normally turns into a real
120 seconds.

Even with the better results that I am getting now, is the extra drying time
really an advantage? What about the 12 to 15 minute dry time paints.
Anyone have anything to compare to Rust-Oleum?

Can't compare w/ that specific line but never had any problem w/ the
standard RustOleum products. I can only think you're spraying much too
thick an individual coat.