T i m

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:17:28 +0100, Mark S.
wrote:

As said - sounds like it's possibly the back light tube(s) - try
turning the contrast and brightness up full and see if you can make
out the picture.

You can buy the tubes but having seen and handled them they are
extremely fragile and very easy to break.

Mark S.

Thanks to all for the replies folks .. lots of good sense as usual ;-)

I do still have some tools (DMM, HF Scope, HF FC) but as mentioned,
probably not much in the way of spares (short of various molex
connectors possibly) but probably less chance of a diagram as it's
quite 'new' (I mean, for TTF TV's in general .. unlike yer old
Ferguson chassis gl).

I'lll get her to do the torch backlight test .. costs nothing and
might tell us something.

If it were mine I might at least take the back / bottom off and look
for burnt connectors (remember P8/9 PC AT power connectors burning in
the early days?) broken wires (at connector crimps)/ PCB cracks, dry
joints around the bigger pins / connectors etc but I hold little
hope. I'm not sure of the history of this TV .. I think it was bought,
stood on a wall bracket and from there untouched .. (ie. not moved
about a lot?).

I did ask her to text me the model details but nothing as yet ...?

I like the idea of her exploring the matter via her credit card .. I
know some PC TFT carry 3yr warantees?

All the best and thanks for your time again ..

T i m