Andy Dingley

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 14:56:30 -0400, Wally wrote:

Basically this book would be a blend from
"Understanding wood from Bruce Hoadley, Woodworker's Guide to Wood
from Rick Peters, and some other books like the botanic stuff (for
identifying wood) + finishing.

Can you really do a better job than "Understanding Wood" and
"Identifying Wood" ? There are already far too many woodworking books
in the world (usually very poor ones) and only a few areas where there
isn't a good one. I see this particular niche as one that's already
pretty well covered.

I like the idea of "from tree to furniture" coverage (which Hoadley's
two don't quite cover), but that limits itself to local timbers. I
already have books from the UK forestry commission that do this pretty
well for UK broadleaf species.

I would _love_ a European edition of "Identifying Wood", with our local
species in it, rather than all this hickory and osage orange.