Wally

Default Woodworking Book Project

I'm considering to write a book on woodworking. The intended book will
be about the wood itself (mechanical properties, types of finishes,
some botanic info to identify the trees, variety of usage, etc).

The reason why I'm interested in writing this book is because I've
never found any book that have all this together with a reasonable
amount of info. Basically this book would be a blend from
"Understanding wood from Bruce Hoadley, Woodworker's Guide to Wood
from Rick Peters, and some other books like the botanic stuff (for
identifying wood) + finishing.

If I attain my objectives, my book would provide all the information
necessary about identifying a tree, harvest it and dry it for
woodworking usage. You would also have all the mechanical info about
wood properties (shrinkage, resistance, spans, etc). You would also
get sample pictures with all those species with various finishes and
stains. At last, you would have pictures of furniture or objects made
by each specie.

My questions to you wreckers:

1. Do you see a significant value in such a book?

2. Would you suggest additional chapters on other subjects?

3. What are the pitfalls with publishers?

Thanks for any useful information!

Charlie Self

Wally wrote:
[...]

Some problems with your approach: the U.S. Forest Dept. has already
done it...Encyclopedia of Wood. Best job of publishing has been done by
Lee Valley. Other tomes you seem to have missed: Know Your Woods,
Albert J. Constantine, Jr.; World Woods In Color, William A. Lincoln;
Useful Woods of The World, Flynn & Holder,and a few others.

Next up, if you can differentiate the book enough to give it value
enough for people to add it to their libraries, is to find a publisher
BEFORE you write the book.

Good luck.

Brian Kerr

Wally wrote:
[...]

You're going to need a really good proof reader. Good luck.
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 14:56:30 -0400, Wally wrote:

Basically this book would be a blend from
"Understanding wood from Bruce Hoadley, Woodworker's Guide to Wood
from Rick Peters, and some other books like the botanic stuff (for
identifying wood) + finishing.

Can you really do a better job than "Understanding Wood" and
"Identifying Wood" ? There are already far too many woodworking books
in the world (usually very poor ones) and only a few areas where there
isn't a good one. I see this particular niche as one that's already
pretty well covered.

I like the idea of "from tree to furniture" coverage (which Hoadley's
two don't quite cover), but that limits itself to local timbers. I
already have books from the UK forestry commission that do this pretty
well for UK broadleaf species.

I would _love_ a European edition of "Identifying Wood", with our local
species in it, rather than all this hickory and osage orange.

Charlie Self

Andy Dingley wrote:
[...]

Talk to Taunton's acquisitions editor. Who knows? They may be in the
market for just such a supplementary book, especially if you can find
someone to cover the Aussie versions that are gaining popularity in the
U.S., along with one or two or twenty Asian woods, and a good, deep
look at some S. American species. That might just expand the market to
where a publisher can afford to do a good job.

Charlie Self

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 4 Sep 2005 06:44:27 -0700, "Charlie Self" wrote:

Talk to Taunton's acquisitions editor.

Oddly enough, I have done (although not about that subject). They were
the _least_ helpful of any publisher I've spoken too, and the most US
isolationist. They're not interested in books of limited interest to
their core US market, and they're pretty uninterested in working with
non-US authors. I was disapointed, quite frankly, although I found the
similar UK publishers to be much more encouraging (and when I have the
projects finished to get the photographs done, you'll maybe see the
results).

Sterling Publishing used to have a pretty close relationship to British
and Aussie publishers. One of their top guys now runs Barnes & Noble,
which now owns Sterling, so lord knows what's up there. Storey
Publishing used to do some good stuff, though they are more lighter
crafts oriented than they are woodworking. I'm not too impressed with
Storey's responses to queries in recent years, and Sterling and I came
to a parting ot the ways about a decade ago, but both might be
possiblities.

WJ Book Rob Johnstone Woodworking 84 May 28th 05 01:51 PM
uses for double square? toolmiser Woodworking 5 May 10th 05 03:51 PM
"New" Krenov Book Out charlie b Woodworking 0 February 16th 04 06:01 PM
New Woodworking Magazine? John E. Flatley, Jr. Woodworking 26 February 8th 04 04:44 PM
Book to teach 9 year old basic woodworking skills Julian Thornhill UK diy 5 November 26th 03 02:50 AM