Dean Hoffman

In article t,
Larry Caldwell wrote:

In article ,
(Edwin Pawlowski) says...

Of course there are others that know the danger and make the choice to live
in an area because of the perceived rewards of life in that region. They
are
willing to take the risk. It has worked for a couple hundred years, but
now
that changed.

This is the first time the USA has ever been forced to evacuate a major
city. I have been trying to think of comparable disasters. The Brits
burned the capital in 1813, Sherman burned Atlanta in 1864, and there
was the Great Chicago Fire in 1871, and the San Francisco Quake in 1906
but it has been a century since we had to face a disaster of this
magnitude. In all the past disasters, the ruins of the city remained
habitable, so the people who lived there could start the recovery. New
Orleans has sunk like Atlantis. It will be months before basic sanitary
services are restored.

There is a list here of the deadliest hurricanes that hit the U.S.
I wonder what Galveston looked like in 1900.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/table2.gif

Dean