Terry D

Default Diamond wheel tile cutters

Dave Plowman wrote:
In article ,
Terry D wrote:
Thanks for the reassurance Dave. I'll get my safety goggles out and
have a few practice runs this weekend.

You'll not need those, as all it throws out is water with some slurry
in it - no chunks as you might expect with an angle grinder etc. Just
make sure you set the guard as low as possible otherwise you'll get
soaked - but in any case wear something that doesn't matter if it
gets wet.

BTW, how long can I expect the blade to last in terms of cutting
length?

I'll let you know when I wear one out. It's a long time, although it
will depend on what you're cutting.

Did you mean that I won't need the practice runs or I won't need the safety
goggles? I'm astounded at the blasé attitude of some DIY enthusiasts with
regard to safety. For instance, I quite often see neighbours using rotary
mowers or strimmers without adequate footwear (sometimes even sandals!) and
suitable eye protection. After working for ICI for 35 years, safety was
instilled into me from an early age. I have goggles, steel toe-capped
boots, gloves, overalls and even a hard hat, all of which are worn when
deemed necessary.

Getting back to the floor-tiling - I'm already booked for tiling my
daughter's new conservatory floor and I haven't even started my own kitchen
yet, followed by the bathroom. :-(

BTW, what gets the vote for the most frightening DIY appliance. I think my
vote must go to chain saws, closely followed by hedge trimmers.

Terry D.