W Canaday

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 06:23:44 -0400, George wrote:

Don't expect this to go over well with the "I use my (big-name grind or
alloy here) gouge for everything" set. Some folks will go to any length to
defend an expensive purchase.

I got a set of eight HSS tools from HF when I first got started (since the
set of 3 miniature tools were obviously not going to suffice). I use
perhaps 4 of them regularly. I get moderate use of my Sorby oval skew,
Sorby multi-purpose hollowing scraper thingy and Sorby bowl sander
thingamabob.*

But ya wanna know what gets the most use?

A 1/2 inch scraper from the HF and two other scrapers I made from tool
steel discarded by my employer.

I'm still very much into 'newbie learning mode', but I've now made a few
dozen objects and can see my tool use developing a pattern.

Bill

Anybody know where to get 2" wave-edge H&L sanding disks for less than
Woodcraft extorts, er, um 'charges'? Local to Detroit would be best but
mail order / web works, too. I'd buy in units of 100 or more if I could
get the price down to ~25 cents each.