Chris

"James Waldby" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
The tree form was just a goof actually. If I remember right, I did not
bother converting the "/" out of the .bat file. Tried, but than I
figured
that the directory tree was actually a little neater. Even more so if
he
is just wanting to start the directory structure off the root of the
drive.
Remember only 512 directory entries allowed. So 1.4 (or so) years from
now
he would be in trouble and might not know it.

I realize FAT16 has a limit of 512 entries per folder
but other filesystems have higher limits, eg
FAT32- 65,534 files or folders per folder, per
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1736383.php
while http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154997/EN-US/
says "The previous limitations on the number of root
folder entries no longer exist." Meanwhile,
http://www.mcse.ms/message1778580.html complains
about slow directory access with 57000 files in a
directory.

All that aside, I think it is reasonable to have
at least a year-based tree structure, and if the
daily backups are pretty big, break it down by
months also to closer match CDR or DVD-R size.
-jiw

All good points, but two things. One NTFS has a limit of 512 entries in
the root directory, to which the OP was creating the directories. Secondly
the OP did not mention the if he was using NTFS or FAT so the lest common
denominator was chosen.

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.